90 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2016 1:58 PM by Paul Salvador

I want real threads! Does SW STILL not have this?

Chris Kulig

I'm making a 3D model that I'm going to 3D print for a product show. I've got 1/2-13 standard threads and the only option I have in SW is cosmetic? I've got all the computing power I need and another 3D modeling program that does real threading from a library easily. Please, please tell me SW has a way of showing how the threads actually will be, i.e. carving them out inside the hole for real, real threads. Trying to convince my company to go completely to SW, but it's goofy stuff like this that are hanging things up. I see some posts that say, well you just helically cut it out yada yada, but I'm an Electrical Engineer with no clue as to the shape and pitch and whatnot. HELP!

• Re: I want real threads! Does SW STILL not have this?
          dink dinkler

Use the helix/spiral fucntion under the curves menu and use that as a path for a swept cut. Make your profile to sweep the same as that of your threads.

That should od the trick if you prefer.

If you are looking to animate and actually show the bolt screwing in... thats a whole 'nother ball of wax.

John Stoltzfus

Good afternoon Chris,

All you'll hear is the yada yada, because SW is a product that kind of copies how a part is made or developed, so yes you do need to cut it using a helix.

The picture below is the first plastic print job that I did in 2000 and the thread is a 3/4" NPT (pipe thread), which is tapered, after this part came back from the printer I could actually turn on a 3/4" pipe fitting.

If your job is a simple part upload it and someone will grab it when they have time and do it for you or show you how it is done in a simple fashion.

If you have completed all the courses it takes to become a Electrical Engineer, surely you can do something as simple as making a thread, we'll help.

Later,

John

Cloydy-1.JPG

Jeremy Feist

1/2 - 13 means 1/2" major diameter and 13 threads per inch - the rest of the callout would determine clearance and tolerance. the machinery handbook has all the thread info you likely could ever want.

there is also good info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Thread_Standard

SW does not have a built in tool/feature for this, and I have not heard of any plans to include one.

William Lacey

Just add the hole for the ID and adjust the OD as needed. This is a 1/2-13 2A thread based on dimensions in the 26th Edition of Machinery's Handbook.

You can adjust the sketch for the thread profile to whatever you want. Just change the pitch dimension (in this case, the pitch is 1/13).

dink dinkler

If you want simple and dont want to cut the threads yourself...

Go here..

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=g2t91r

Choose your diameter, thread-pitch, length, type of screw...

And download the available CAD model.

Chris Kulig

Here's my part by the way (sorry, just figured out how to thow a part up on this thread). If anyone can add a 1/2-13 thread to it I'd be super greatful.

Wayne Matus

You would be better off using a tap and die set and actually cutting the threads on your 3D printed model.

Fergus Taylor

So 4 years later this still seems to be an issue.

Is there any quick way to make threads in SW?

We 3D print a lot of threaded parts and they work great but doing them all by swept cuts is incredibly tedious.

Chris Saller

Yes, 2016 does threads.

Other than that, I have not found a good argument to create real threads. No point.

For 3D printing, print the hole, then hand tap.

John Stoltzfus

That depends a lot on the printed material, I had a model printed years ago using a polyurethane and that would have been way to brittle, that particular model had both NPT and NC thread. 

Modeling threads isn't that difficult and doesn't take long to do, grab a machine hand book and go.

Chris Saller

I agree modeling threads is easy, but if you have a lot of those parts in an assy it can slow down load time. I don't have this problem doing threads in 2016.

Fergus Taylor

Modelling thread is easy.

But so is modelling standard profiles of UB, PFC or RHS and yet no one does that.

Why? Isn't it easy?

Just because something is easy doesn't mean we should have to do it. I don't want to model thread a few times a week just like no one wants to sketch up PFC profiles a few times a week.

Mike Price

I agree Fergus.  This discussion is interesting in light of the thread below:

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/571204#comment-571204

Is the SW thread utility accurate or inaccurate?  If it is inaccurate, there should be a warning as stated in the link.  If it is accurate, I don't know why not just use it.  I don't have 2016, so I can't tell if it is accurate or not, but frankly if it is inaccurate, that is highly discouraging and approaching shameful......

How I get the threads into the part is not what is at question.  If I want to print threads and SW has a thread utility, I should be able to use that all day long unless I find out that I should have just had a minor diameter and tapped or chased the threads, or whatever.  The original post asks the question, does Solidworks have real threads yet or not.  It is a yes or no answer.  If the thread utility creates accurate threads, yes, if inaccurate, then the threads are not "real".

Dennis, if you are following the thread discussions, you will be even further convinced that goat farming is the answer.

M. B.

I too need to model real threads.  Continued posts insisting we use cosmetic threads are not helpful.

The threads on bottles, jars, containers, lids, bayonets, quick connects, ball screws/nuts, more, often need to be modeled accurately.

Sharp V-threads, 60 deg. 55 deg. trapezoid, acme, square, buttress, others, often need to be modeled accurately.

Pitch, pitch diameter, major diameter, minor diameter, flank angle, root/crest radius, more, all need to be easily modified.

The beginning or end of a thread, lead-in, lead-out, flank angle pull-out, straight pull-out, chased threads on a lathe, milled threads, injection molded threads, printed threads, often need to be modeled accurately.

Drawings/illustrations/images for manuals, views, sections, dimensions, need to be displayed accurately.

Sometimes milled and ground threads need to be modeled accurately but it’s impossible for a section sweep to do that.  Only a solid tool body sweep along a helix path can accurately represent a milled or ground thread.

I agree that the thread tool in SW2016 is rubbish.  Solidworks needs to consult with designers from industry before trying to create a thread tool.

Paul Salvador

(raising hand..  groggy.. just waking up from a real bad dream + reading this old/new thread)...

ok.. I've been doing this a long time,.. mechanical and injection molded designs...  threads, imho.. are NOT a priority.. they NEVER have been...  if I need to model threads,... I do,.. it's NOT that hard.  ... and, they are useless in the grand scope of REAL design problems and issues.

Now.. with the 3D printing rage-a-mania,..... this has now become a PRIORITY.. and a wet dream gone way wrong... plus a full can worms. (yes, that bad)

Our $$$$ is being spent on stuff most of use really DO NOT NEED!... but for DS MARKETING to say.. hey!... look over hither, we gotta thread feature.....!?!?!?

I UNDERSTAND THE NEED... and the 3D printing rage-a-mania... but,.. from what I see... and KNOW.. this is a CLUSTER... and we are going to continue paying for this...  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

...it is NOT uncommon to make a 100-1000 thread hole part...  can you guys imagine what this means in data size and data management...with a full (100+) threaded part!?

There are WAY MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES that NEED to be addressed with this software!

shaking head... this is a NIGHTMARE!

John Stoltzfus

and..........

The only post you'll see "wet dream, nightmare, rage-a-mania injected in a useless can of worms"

Fergus Taylor

Paul,

If threads are not a priority for YOU and you think there are more important features that SW should improve then lobbying for those would probably be a better use of your time.

Clearly, there are people who want a functional thread feature and no amount of irrelevant  comments like will change that.

"Just do it by hand after printing"

"Modelling threads is easy"

"It'll slow down load times"

my favourite: "you can't 3D print threads" 

These are not helpful and don't add any value to the conversation..

Timothy Taby

"Just do it by hand after printing"

"Modelling threads is easy"

"It'll slow down load times"

my favorite: "you can't 3D print threads" 

These are not helpful and don't add any value to the conversation..

Actually all of the above statements are very relevant to the conversation.  From my actual experience 3D printing threads, if you want threads that function, then I either have to over size the threads or I have to die/tap them out afterward.  From my experiance it is very tough to 3D print correct threads.  It's the same thing with injection molded parts where they oversize to adjust for sink factors.  And not all materials are the same so some people experiences might be different.  But the purpose of these forms is not only to rant but to help and inform others.

Once you know how to do it modeling threads is actually pretty easy even though it's an advanced type of geometry.  I have done it enough times that I can do it usually in less then 5 minutes. Paul's point was that in reality for most people this is a nice tool, but it really didn't make the process that much better/easier, especially if the threads it creates are not correct.

And everything slows down load times, especially complex geometry with curved surfaces, which is what a thread is in the software.  I very rarely put actual threads in my parts do to file size and performance issues, but there are occasions where real threads are needed.  It would be nice if Solidoworks would fix this tool to make them correct to the standards.  I think we should give them a little slack as the tool is somewhat functional at least cosmetically for their first try.  If they fix it then it will be a great tool.  

Mike Price

If there is no purpose for the thread tool other than cosmetic, why is it in there?

You can certainly 3D print useable threads depending on the method/material/thread geometry without the need to hand tap, etc.

To me that's why SW developed it in the first place.  If the thread tool is not generating accurate threads, it should not be a tool that is embedded into the program.  That is a fact that is regardless of how one may want to use it.  Maybe there should be a new posting, "Should I print threads?"  Of course the answer seemingly would be "not if you intend to create them using the SW thread tool"

Chris Saller

The thread tool is there because users asked for it. It was not originally created at the time for 3D printing. As I mentioned before, 3D printing has shrinkage/expansion and loose tolerances that most of the time make unusable threads. It's good for display purposes, but not working prototypes. You can use more time make the threads correctly in your model and still not have a usable thread.

In 2016 it works much better. But, I only add the holes where I want the threads then tap/die the threads later.

The only way for others here to know is to try it yourself.

Anna Wood

Timothy Taby wrote:

It would be nice if SolidWorks would fix this tool to make them correct to the standards.

That is the wonderful thing about standards...   There are so many to choose from.

One man's standard is another man's trash.

SolidWorks would be damned if they do and damned if they don't.

If you have several company standard threads that you use you can add them to your Feature Library.

Paul Salvador

Fergus,.. as Tim has added,. this idea of printing 3D threads is more involved and it is not a time saver, quite the contrary..  imho.

now.. I'm sure there are those who luv the idea and tell/sell their boss/customer... "we will save time printing all these threads... blah-blah...save mega $$ and time!?"

well,.. go ahead.. drag/drop hundreds of default threads in.... rave to your cohorts you have saved the company $$....  and take a vacation.

or, better.. since people luv free stuff and ADDED VALUE,.. my advice on 3D printing threads ...

..you WILL need to make CUSTOM SCALED THREADS for EACH 3D printing process, each material for each XYZ setup (you need to know what side direction it is being printed before choosing your custom thread)

... and guess what,... and I PROMISE this,... they still will NOT be accurate threads!   

... YOU ... or someone else ($$) will have to REWORK THEM! 

Chris Saller

From my experience it's better to tap the threads later in a 3D printed part due to shrinkage. I'm sure this will be better when metal printing becomes more affordable and tighter tolerances.

David Sloop

Wow. This post got kind of crazy.

I'll second the opinion, that in the case of smalle tapped holes, drilling and tapping the 3D printed model is best, anyway.

But I will also second the opinion that Solidworks does need a thread creation tool.

99% of what we do, cosmetic threads are fine, but that last 1%...

Robert Weimer

I read about half of this dribble, and I can't believe what I'm reading.  I too would like some actual male threads for a model that I am producing, and it seems like the overall reaction with tis forum is Oh yeah, just make your own threads with a helix and a machinery handbook and a way more time than it is worth project, then I have to be sure that I selected and created everything just right.  This is border line unacceptable, I just look at a bunch of videos that show Solidworks doing some fancy sh$t.  Then it comes to some regular thread creation and it seems like a total hassle to me. 

The real problem is the overall feeling from this forum being cool with the fact that thread creation is not a separate command.  Well I'm not cool with that, and I will complain every chance I get with the tell us what is going on and how you feel about Solidworks emails I get on a daily basis.

Come on people move into the new century a CAD program worth its salt should have a thread command.  Then again maybe I'm just used to the expensive programs that actually run a little smoother.

Jaja Jojo

Here is a information for thread

This is the one i use the most and it is also free

UN imperial screw thread calculator

McMaster-Carr

Here are some thread calculator but its not free, but they have a trial version that you can use for checking but it just for a limited time

Thread Engineering Software | ThreadTech v2.24 Software

ThreadPal - dimensions and tolerances for inch and metric screw threads

Jim Hays

I believe the default is cosmetic thread, because for those of us who deal in machinery and large assemblies with lot of fasteners, thread feature can rather quickly swamp even a brand new computer with tons of memory, with no value added to the modeling exercise (all we need for assemblies is a fastener count for the BOM).

A thread is usually a 60° triangle, with the width of the base at the minor diameter being the pitch of the thread (1 / threads per inch for UN threads...and you have to short it .001 or so to not overlap the previous thread on the helix path). It takes less than  a minute to put a thread on something. other threads can be accomplished with the same kind of thinking.

For printed parts, I agree with some others here that you should print maximum material conditions, then hand-tap the holes or use a die to thread printed fasteners.

Doug Seibel

Solidworks has always had the ability to create real threads, just sweep on a helix.  As for "push the button and be done" style functionality, it is no surprise that they don't have it.  Between all the different thread form standards, thread series standards within each thread form standard, different classes of fit for each thread series within each thread form...you end up with thousands upon thousand of possibilities, compounded by new standards being created all the time.  The juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Robert Weimer

I guess if no body minds, then nothing is gained.  As far as all of the standards for threading, most standards have been around for about a hundred years or so.  They should make a command that has a few of the more widely used standards such as UNC, UNF, and their Metric equivalents, then have a custom with all of the defining data needed for a thread in a nice pop up menu with variables in a sketch that is updatable.  That's how a real CAD program does it.  I agree that the program has the ability to model just about anything, but that is not the point.  I want to model things and not spend a great deal of time or effort thinking about it if possible.  As it is now, if I want to actually model a 1/4-20UNC-2A thread, I will pull out the old handbook, make several separate model command entries, then it is done.  I don't think we should need to do that.  It takes up too much time, and space on the model tree.

BTW, how do you get cosmetic threads on a male stud.  I am actually new to Solidworks, which might explain my dislike of it so far.

John Stoltzfus

Doug Seibel said it best -

My question Robert - How many threads do you need to make, hundreds or thousands...  Did you ever practice making threads? What is time?   If I were making a lot of threads, I would definitely make them with different features rather then using a "New" feature, they tend to be buggy or they change code or something a few releases from now and you open an old part with errors....  Making threads is simple, One sketch to insert the helix circle - Helix feature - One sketch for the thread shape - Cut Sweep - End Chamfer - Thread relief cut if needed.........

Doug Seibel

For starters, modeling a thread is something the majority of people never need to do...especially when they are simply a standard thread.  Helical sweep features are workstation killers, they will quickly make the fastest computer on the planet seem like a Commodore 64.  Create an assembly where all the threads are actually modeled in and the speed of you workstation will quickly disappear.  Springs are often modeled as a tube for just this reason.  There are special mechanical mates in Solidworks for screws (for when the screw actually is a mechanical component) to eliminate the need for the screw to be modeling in.  As for the actual manufacturing of the thread, "standard" threads will almost never need to actually be modeled.  The threads that need to be modeled for manufacturing are generally threads that are non-standard.  Tooling already exists for efficiently threading things to standard threads.  And, of course, when the item is nothing more than a purchased item like a bolt/screw/nut/etc., there isn't any need whatsoever for wasting time and reducing workstation speed by actually modeling a thread.  I think the most common place where the modeling of threads is required is on plastic parts.  And on those it is only needed if the thread is actually being molded onto the part, such as the threads on the bottle & cap of a 2 liter soda bottle.  Many plastic parts have small brass threaded inserts ultrasonically welded into them for the threads (Dodge Ultracerts), eliminating any need to model/mold the thread in the part.

As for putting a cosmetic thread on a stud...Insert, Annotations, Cosmetic Thread.  Or type cosmetic thread in the Solidworks Search Commands box, it'll pop up.

Robert Weimer

I'm glad to see the good people at Solidworks have made the first steps to getting a thread command.  Of course I expect problems for the first couple of releases just because that is normal for programs such as these, and of course my company stays a couple of releases behind so that the bugs can be worked out before they update to the newest version.  For that reason, we here at SDI are using 2015.  I expect to get to use 2016 probably in December some time when we change releases.

I still can't believe the push back involved for this thing.  Once again I have to say it seems like the overall feeling is that hey don't bother with moving life forward and making it easier, just consult a thread table and model them yourself, how many threads do you model anyway?  I would like to tell those people that is just the kind of thing that people who where riding horses in the later parts of the 1800's where doing.  It is like I'm sitting here just wanting to model all the threads for the anchor bolts on a pressure vessel that I'm designing for fun.  Normally I'm not, I get paid by the project so time matters to me.  In this particular case however, perhaps just perhaps I need to run a FEA test for seismic and wind calculations on a pressure vessel which will be located in a Nuclear facility on the coast of Florida.  If you know the "code" for such things, you will also know that there are a thousand interpretations possible, and other solutions can be used if do engineering design diligence is adhered to.  I just can't model a fake anchor bolt and expect to get a good FEA test result when I am specifically testing the ability of these previously mentioned bolts, arranged in a particular way to withstand a simultaneous class 5 hurricane and mega earthquake.  So yes, I will model them using the methods described earlier by the helpful forum poster types, but it will take valuable time even though if I slack off it would be around an hour by the time I locate the book with the thread tables, and then model them accurately.

As for 3D printing, I agree that tapping small threaded pieces is best, up to around 3/4" or so.  I would also use the tolerances for the smallest minor diameter for male threads and the largest major diameter for the female threads.

Paul Salvador

This thread about threads is has been on going for years and years and years,..... so, do we really NEED THREADS?.....

I agree,  it's wasting time, with either making/creating/talking about them... or having the helical topology data within the file is (suppressed or not).. it really is a pita.

If we focus on what is STANDARD (in-house or internationally).. we can ELIMINATE a huge amount of wasted time..  imho.

For instance,.. FOR OUR FUTURE... if you REALLY want to go BEYOND all of this (bloat)... why not have the.. "PMI (MBD)"   directly translate a thread to the manufacturing device,.. whether a 3D printer or tooling center...!?!?!?

Wouldn't that be more EFFICEINT... less waste?

..otherwise... congratulations to all of you who requested this thread features (woo-hoo)... but, imho, this whole conversation seems like a kid wanting something which, to many of us, is seen like this...

temper-tantrums.png

Ryan McVay

Paul Salvador I totally agree. (Now the rant continues) If we want true enhancements to the software we need a bigger picture of how the function can be leveraged in the downstream or other tools. Unfortunately, we aren't going to see that level of development with this version of SW. The program has been and continues to be in a retired state (not dead but doing the part-time gig at the coffee shop). This new function is exactly the type of "new" enhancements you would expect. It is a combination of several functions that already exist and rely on simple table for thread data. Just like the new UI was..it shows how SW is "investing" in the software..nah..just new lipstick on the same pig- so that you can get a couple more years of maintenance money from the lemmings before you take them over the cliff!

I apologize if people feel that I am so negative about the product or that I have insulted you..but c'mon folks if you can't see this you are either blind or don't want to admit that your CAD daring is now starting to get liver spots, wrinkles, nail fungus on its toes and gray hair growing out its ears.

Ask yourself, what version did you last see some real development of features and functions something new, original? Where are the better surfacing tools? Where are the reverse engineering tools? Where are the better collaboration tools? Where are the "direct editing" tools?

Jaja Jojo

Image result for kids picture

Why is this kid crying did they stole her lolipop?

Jim Hays

I used the thread feature in 2016 for the first time this afternoon. It differs from how Hays Engineering does threads (on the rare occasion that we detail them) in two ways:

• We "draw" the profile with the "bottom" of the profile pierced by the helix, which "starts" the cut "off" the part, not abruptly "in" the part.

• We then add a revolved cut of a chamfer at the open end of the thread, and a land at the bottom. The land is at the minor diameter of the male thread and is one pitch wide.

I can't think of any application, other than pretty marketing renderings, where it is necessary to model threads. We have done printed case packaging for small, personal electronic device prototypes, where we print the threads of a watch battery cover, for example. They work fairly well for low cycling, but for any kind of utility, printing maximum material condition, and using taps or thread dies makes for better functioning threads.Final3.JPG

Vladimir Urazhdin

For show purpose you can use this or similar technique:

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/356502#comment-356502

But I also believe that keeping invisible threads in assemblies must be considered as harmful practice, waste of human and computing resources.

Robert Weimer

Well I have other important things I want to do so this will be the last post on this subject from me.

For those who can't fathom the use of real threads I have a couple of words for you - Finite Element Analysis.  Yes, some of us have to use a real thread scenario to justify our designs.  Yes I do realize you have thousands of fasteners in your project, and yes it also means that I am aware of the computational requirements the computer needs to do this, however it doesn't mean I can just forget about the uses of fasteners, and exactly how they need to be used in a testing scenario.  To test threads you need to model threads.

For those of you with the entitlement comments, your just off base.  Solidworks and the commands in Soliodworks are not entitlements, they are a product or a feature within a product that will be used by people who need them. People can ignore a product when another one comes along and offers a better way, it is what the U.S. is all about.  Its called capitalism, and it will always be the best because it rewards the doers and punishes the non-doers, just like nature does.  Save your entitlement comments for the Maury crowd.  It is offensive to the people who are moving the world forward, and it is just not a relevant analogy in this case.

For those of you who just like doing the real threads yourselves because your the Solidworks master and one more command would be too much of a burden for you to figure out where to put the icon, enjoy riding the horse back home to the house later and I hope your wife is done doing the wash with the washboard down by the creek.

For those who want a thread command, keep up the good fight, we shall overcome as somebody once said.  Remember people with good ideas are often ridiculed until other realize how much better things will be after they implement the changes.

If you are making threads for an additive manufacturing project, unless the threads are large, I would just tap them after printing, it will look better and perform better.