AnsweredAssumed Answered

Linear Assembly Pattern Problems

Question asked by Matthew Brady on Jan 31, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 by Scott McFadden

First post! Here we go...

I'm trying to model a valvetrain for an aircraft piston engine, including camshafts, valves, rocker arms, and valve springs. I've been running into several problems in the process; mechanical cam mates bring my computer to a grinding halt and refuse to play nice with each other, especially when there are 4 per cylinder on a 12-cylinder engine.

In searching for ways to streamline the design, I attempted to create a linear pattern of the assemblies containing everything needed to operate the valves of one cylinder (rocker arms, valve stems, valve springs, etc.). But what confuses me is that the assemblies in the resulting pattern are by no means identical in how they are solved. As can be seen in the attached picture, some parts of the springs are rotated 180 degrees, even though the alignment of those mates were clearly specified. There are a few other irregularities in the copied assemblies that cannot be seen in the picture. I thought the whole idea of a pattern was to create identical copies?

On a related note, does anyone have any tips or better ways for linking up a collection of several mechanical cam mates without breaking the whole model?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Outcomes