5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2013 4:07 AM by Michael Maz

Point Cloud?

Michael Maz

Does anyone have any links to or files for point cloud tutorials? I can't find anything on these boards or the SW help menu. (My internet is limited here so I can't access sites such as youtube..)

Regards

• Re: Point Cloud?
          Charles Culp

Michael,

SolidWorks only handles point clouds through the ScanTo3D add-in that comes with SolidWorks premium. Is that what you are interested in? I am unaware of any tutorials for that.

Michael Maz

Hi Charles, yes you're correct I suppose. I was just looking for guides and tutorials on how to import and remodel files using this approach.

Kevin Quigley

Michael it very much depends on what systems you have.

A lot of scanning software lets you save the data as either discrete point locations, or as tesselated surfaces. Many also let you create curves through the cloud.

If you don't have this then apps like Rhino have point cloud handling that far exceeds anything Scan to 3D can do. My recommendation would be to use such tools to extract curves that can be imported into SolidWorks for surfacing.

The rule of thumb is that you use the scan data as a 3D underlay and rebuild the surface using that as a guide only.

Eike Thiele

Michael,

are you talking about a point cloud from a laser scanner like FARO Focus 3d or Leica scanstation?

Cheers,

ET