5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2012 8:55 AM by John Sweeney

Large parts of UI window become inactive after changing the window size.  Please Help!

Micha Rosen

I am having problems with the user interface of a new installed system:

Solidworks 2012 SP1.0 x 64bit edition. 

Computer:  Dell Precision M6400.

Graphics Card:  NVIDIA Quadro 1000M.  Driver Version 8.17.12.7519

Operating System:  Windows 7

For what ever reason, when I decrease the SW window size and then increase it back to the full screen size, large sections of the user interface become inactive.

The active part is limited to a small section at the bottom of the window.  I discovered this problem when I was trying to work on a external large monitor.  Now i disconnected this external monitor but the problem is still present on the laptop monitor alone.  See the screen shot blow.  The top section is inactive.  The bottom section is maximized and it fills only that narrow strip at the bottom.

I tried upgrading the graphics card driver, but that made no difference.  The local SW tech support said that this has something to do with the fact that SW is not using the NVIDIA graphics card but only the built in Intel graphics card for windows.  Still, he offered no solution.

I am at a complete loss here.  Please help!

-Micha

SW cut UI.jpg

• Re: Large parts of UI window become inactive after changing the window size.  Please Help!
          John Sweeney

Hi Micha,

It looks like your registry has gotten out of sync.... Take a look at this forum solution:

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/266592

We are working on a solution on our end to automatically fix this condition when we detect the registry is out of sync (spr 586579)

Best Regards,

John

• Re: Large parts of UI window become inactive after changing the window size.  Please Help!
              Micha Rosen

Hi John,

Thanks for your help.  Unfortunately using the "Reset to Default" in the Tools-Customize-Toolbars menu does not work.  When I hit the "Reset to Default" I get the message "Do you really want to reset all toolbar customizations to factory default?".  I hit yes and the window blinks several times and the active UI shrinks to a tiny strip at the bottom- as can be seen here (you can see my part as a tiny black dot in the center bottom of the window):

SW cut UI after yes.jpg

Now when I hit "OK" to the customize window- the UI jumps to it's full window position.  Great.  Everything seems OK at this point.  I restart SW.  And... the problem is still there.  All is well as long as I do not change the SW UI window size.  I can change the specific part window size within the SW window, but if I change the SW window the problem persists.

Should I re-install SW 2012?  I have no experiance messing with the registry, but it seems that if the "Reset to Default" does not work then neither will changing the registry.

Message was edited by: Micha Rosen

I just noticed that this bug appears only on parts that I imported from *.STP  format.  On parts that were built in SW there seems to be no problem.  What's going on here?  Let me know if it would be useful to upload a .STP file so someone can try this on their SW2012. 

John Sweeney

Hi Micha,

From the other post.. it looks like the user needed to perform the manual registry edit.  Follow these steps:

Close SolidWorks and open the "Registry Editor" tool by typing "regedit" at a command line prompt.  Try renaming the registry key below or try renaming the "Dock State" registry value found inside the key given below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2012\User Interface\CommandManager

You can rename the registry key as follows... In the left hand portion of the "Registry Editor" program window, perform a right-Mouse click on the "CommandManager" folder shown above and select the "Rename" menu choice from the popup menu.  Change the name by simply appending something to the end, such as "_TEMP" to make it "CommandManager_TEMP".

Now restart SolidWorks and it should recreate the original registry key with default values which should resolve the issue.

Hope this helps,

John

Micha Rosen

Wow.  You made my day.  I can't believe this simple name change actually fixed it.  I won't ask why the hell this all happened, and what on earth does  a registry name change have to do with this.  I am guessing i will not understand the answar anyway.  I just hope this never happens again.

Thanks for your help, John!

-Micha

John Sweeney

Hi Micha,

Glad to hear it worked.  We're not sure how the registry got into this state either, but we are investigating and will at a minimum try to avoid the issue if we detect the registry values are invalid.

The trick with the registry key renaming was simply a way to avoid the invalid registry values.  When SolidWorks starts up, it reads the values found in HKEY_CURRENT_USER to restore your customized system options, toolbar layouts, etc.  If the code doesn't find a particular registry key inside the HKEY_CURRENT_USER section of the registry, it will load the factory default value from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (or it will read the value from your older installation of SolidWorks, such as "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/SolidWorks/SolidWorks 2011")... So, your command manager has been restored to the factory default values.

Best Regards,

John