12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 2:22 PM by Pete Yodis

EPDM Workflow Tutorial

Jagandeep Singh

Is there any simple tutorial to design new workflow for EPDM available anywhere ??

• Re: EPDM Workflow Tutorial
          Raghavendra Bhagwan

Hello Jagandeep,

Have you gone through the Administration Guide of EPDM ? I am sure it would be of good place to start.

Cheers !

Raghav.

Jagandeep Singh

Stupid Me, Thanks Raghav

Ryan McVay

I'm a visual learner and believe in the Hear, See, Do learning method. So, I'll ask the same simialr question, "Are their any videos on strategies on setting up epdm?" I understand there are two schools of thought; 1) use categories and 2) classification.

Raghavendra Bhagwan

Ryan,

My two thoughts !

1) Mainly depends on the process they are using and willing to implement with this tool.

2) Every company has its own process,methods,best practices etc.hence there is right or wrong setup.

Regards,

Raghav.

Ryan McVay

Raghav.

Yes, I totally agree but I am looking for background information on the strategies out there for implementing EPDM. I want to understand the pros and cons of the strategies. I'll then be able to compare the strategies to the business requirements and goals. Choice the correct strategy and move forward. The first step is understanding the strategies and capabilities. Hence my question/request.

Best Regards,

Ryan

Bogic Dubak

I have to add a comment from my experience that you have to be careful when creating a new workflow in ePDM. You have to analyze it thoroughly and to make it work on paper before you put it in the ePDM.

Any additional changes that you would like to apply later on will be extremely tricky to do especially because the system keeps all the workflow states in history and doesn't allow you to drop any of the previous document states

Ryan McVay

Yes, I totaly agree. That's why I do a business needs analysis before I even attempt changes in the existing production vault.

In my case, I may have to design a new EPDM setup and then migrate the data out of the old and then back into the new system.

Michael McKee

whenever i make new workflows, i run dummy files thru each transition, making sure everything works as expected (notifications, etc.). that way, no production files are involved and you are able to "live-test" the workflow with the actual people who will be doing the transitions.

Brian McEwen

[Bogic Dubak]

"the system keeps all the workflow states in history and doesn't allow you to drop any of the previous document states"

Could someone explain this a bit more?  For example, by "in history" does he mean the states are still attached to a certain document, datacard, or just some list in EPDM?   Why is this a problem?    Change is always a possibility (even with thorough testing), but this leaves you stuck with some of your earlier choices? 

[Michael McKee]

"whenever i make new workflows, i run dummy files thru each transition, making sure everything works as expected (notifications, etc.)."

This is done in a separate sandbox vault?

Laura Whittle

Brian McEwen wrote:

[Bogic Dubak]

"the system keeps all the workflow states in history and doesn't allow you to drop any of the previous document states"

Could someone explain this a bit more?  For example, by "in history" does he mean the states are still attached to a certain document, datacard, or just some list in EPDM?   Why is this a problem?    Change is always a possibility (even with thorough testing), but this leaves you stuck with some of your earlier choices? 

Basically you can not delete a state in a workflow, unless you also destroy all files that have ever gone thru that workflow.

My only advice would be to start small, we made our workflows complicated at launch and looking back we all think we would have been better off with a simplier workflow and adding as we went.

Brian McEwen

Thanks Laura.  I think it is not as bad as I imagined.  I'm testing in a sandbox vault now.  It seems you can still rename the Sates, and use them differently. e.g. "Under Edit" can become "Edit", but if you have no new use for the state then... can you rename it "z" or something so it is at the bottom of lists?  Or rename it "oldstate-something" to be more clear in History.

It is more flexible than I was picturing, it is not like old State names just pile up in the Search tool or in History [if you can use it for something else].  Am I right?  

[I guess I didn't try moving renamed states to significantly different points in the workflow - can you do that too?]

As you said it seems easier to add States than remove them.