5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 6:08 AM by Einar Gulbrandsen

Setting up multiple options of tasks in one transition

Rodney Michels

Can anyone help me figure out how to implement this transition?  I have a variable that users will use a drop down for, they will select Standard, MID, LID or DDM for this variable.  When this file gets transitioned, I want EPDM to look at this variable and perform the correct action per lable on the variable.  See attached.

• Re: Setting up multiple options of tasks in one transition
          Tim Read

Easiest way to achieve this is to create separate transistions for each of the variable values. The transistions should all have the same name but perform the relevant task for the variable value set.

Tim

Rodney Michels

Then the users will see four transitions that all have the same name?  They wont know which transition to execute?  Or what am I missing?

Tim Read

No... so long as the transistions have the same name then the User will only 'see' one transistion.

This approach can even work if the files are in different Workflows... I do not suggest you do this but if your parts were in one workflow, assemblies in another and drawings in a third so long as the Transistion names are the same the files can get 'transistioned' at the same time.  The State names can even be different because the user only see the "Transistion" name in the menus.

Tim Webb

Rodney, Tim Read is correct.

I have about 15 active workflows. Don't ask, I inherited a data cleanup challenge. Each workflow has at least (1) common state called "Pending Release" with the same name just before the released, published, approved, etc. state.

The transition leading from the "Pending Release" state to the released, published, approved, etc. state is called "1. Published"

When the Doc Center CM does a daily search for files in the "Pending Release" state so they can release the files, they select numerous files at one time, right click, change state, and select "1. Publish" and all files go through their respective transitions in their respective workflows to their released, published, approved, etc. states.

As long as the transitions have the exact same name, the person will see only one menu item for the transition in the change state menu.

I hope I didn't confuse the matter with my mess.

Tim

Einar Gulbrandsen

We got 2 parallell transitions that do a condition check. Left side is for part + assy and the right side is for drawing. The reason for this is different metadata card for the files types. 

check.PNG

Here 3 files are selected, but the user can only see 1 transition of "send to check".

change.PNG