10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 10:25 AM by John Stoltzfus

Multiple sheet drawing using configs

Dean Anderson

I am trying to create a multiple sheet drawing using configurations to drive each sheet. I have 6 configs in my part that each have 3 different display states within the configuration. I thought I would create just one of the sheets from my default config and then copy and paste it and go back and change the config that is driving that particular sheet to a different config. Solidworks gets stuck in what seems like a never ending rebuild, but eventually returns, only this problem seems to multiply itself with each new added sheet. Anybody have any suggestions?

• Re: Multiple sheet drawing using configs
          John Stoltzfus

Good afternoon Dean,

Sounds like you have circular rebuild issues that confuses SW.  I have multiple sub-assemblies and all the components that go into that sub-assembly in one file, and some of my drawing files have over 50 page tabs, it definitely slows down just a little, but again it is design approach/design intent when you start.  It's a good chance you'll have those issues with the assemblies till you correct the rebuild issues.

One way;

Could you have one file per configurations, and then add the three different display states?

Later,

John

Dean Anderson

Thanks John. I assumed the same, but don't see any problems with ref's. I have a layout sketch that for the most part drives the part. Do you think this could be the problem?

Dean

John Stoltzfus

Good afternoon Dean,

If you have a layout sketch part, what I call a Skeleton Sketch Part, you should be ok, however it needs to be the first part in your feature manager tree and it needs to be the first part in all your sub-assemblies.  That way SW only needs to go to the feature manager tree and rebuild rather than check a hidden file somewhere in your computer.

I am guessing your using the Layout Sketch feature which is a 3d sketch???  If you used the Layout Sketch feature in the main assembly and not in the sub-assemblies, it is my understanding that it needs to go find the origin, (might not be the right term). I have never used them and I've come across enough of information that it doesn't thrill me to try.

You may have seen it but, this is how I do it, (see pdf)

Later,

John

PS; I will be leaving here in a few minutes, let me know if you need any additional assistance.

Dean Anderson

John,

This is just a muti body part not an assembly. My layout sketch is the very first feature in my part. I am leaving shortly myself, I will look at your pdf in the a.m. and get back to you. Thanks for your interest in helping me figure out this problem.

John Stoltzfus

Good morning Dean,

Sorry to lead you down the wrong road, I didn't realize you are using multi body parts, however I still would lean on how the parts and features are linked.  With just a few parts and a few configurations it should rebuild quickly. A part that has to search for a feature in another part that isn't open creates longer and inconsistent rebuilds.

I don't see the value of multi body parts rather than just making another part.  Looking at a few posts on here and also reading about multi body parts, I have seen more issues then just straight up modeling, there is no more or no less features are there??

Later,

John

Dean Anderson

Hi John,

You weren't really leading me down the wrong road. The older Solidworks gets the more a multi-body part acts just like an assembly anyway. One of the big differences is as you said how the rebuilds are handled, and that is one thing that I hadn't giving consideration too with Solidworks having to rebuild that external part. Thanks for the tip. I will give a try and let you know how it works.

Thanks again,

Dean

Dean Anderson

Hi John,

I just did a feature stats on the part with both bodies present. It rebuilt in 32.40 seconds. I suppressed the external part and the move features (I had to repostion the part to where I needed it) that are related to it and it rebuilds in 32.29 seconds. Not really that great of a difference.

I saw yesterday when I was creating a view in the drawing that there is an option to pick which bodies you want viewed in that particular view. When I was originally creating the part I created three different display states for each of the configs. One with both bodies visible and one each with one or the other parts hidden. So when I created the drawing I used the display states to view which body I wanted to view in that view. Do you think this would slow it down? Would just picking which body I wanted viewed be quicker? I would think that this is basically the same thing as a display state and wouldn't really be any quciker.

John Stoltzfus

Good morning Dean,

First; I guess I am from the old school based on assemblies blowing up and rebuild issues etc., so for me to give you advice on multi body parts and display states, it would be merely a guess from me. I would add a configuration and suppress or un-suppress a part or feature to get the display state I want in the drawing.

I know there are neat features in SW and I do try them once in a while, however if I run into a glitch be it my comprehension or a SW issue, I go back to what works.

For me it is Assemblies, Sub-Assemblies, Parts, Design Tables, Configurations.

Later,

John

Dean Anderson

Good morning to you too,

Thanks for your suggestions. The reason I used a multi body part is this. The part that I am working on has different sizes to it (these sizes are my configs), so to get the different sizes I just scaled the original part. The people that need the part then decided to add a part (the reason for the multi body part) that was going to need the same scale factor, after I had already created the configs on the existing part, so to save myself some time (or so I thought) I just brought the second part in and used the same scale feature to get the different sizes of the second part. In hindsight I should have probably should have done it in an assembly but as I said was trying to save a feature or two (and originally didn't know they were going to need the second part) and ended up costing myself more time than it was worth in the long run. Thanks again for all your input and help.

Have a good one,

Dean

John Stoltzfus

Good morning Dean,

That is why Design Intent is so critical with SW, and there have been many times that I have run into similar situations.  Therefore that is why I changed the way I approach a project and have developed my own way of doing things. There are many times here where either the Customer, Sales or Manufacturing would like us to make modifications to our design based on...... 

That is why it is so much easier using a Skeleton Sketch Part right away and in some cases only locking in the outer perimeter, with other basic shapes.  Anytime there are two parts using the same sketch, that sketch is developed in the Skeleton Sketch Part, not in any of the other components, however if any of the parts have holes or features that are not tied into another part then I add those sketches in the part rather then the Skeleton Sketch Part. 

I did update the presentation, so you may want to download the updated version,

Later,

John