4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2012 3:51 PM by Brian Dalton

Part configurations in ePDM

Shan Lentine

I have read several threads that come close to addressing this issue, but don't quite "hit the nail on the head".  Here is the issue I am running into:

I will use the hypothetical assembly that contains a part with two configurations (I will call it "Part A").  Part A has a left hand and right hand configuration.  When I check the assembly out of the ePDM vault, I immediately get a warning that I am changing Part A which I do not have checked out.  Once the assembly loads, I will reload the part.  This makes no difference because SolidWorks still views the configuration of the part in the assembly which is not the "active configuration" as a change to the part which must be saved.  Since I have two configurations in the assembly I can never get the assembly to come in "clean" with no errors or warnings.

Since I am fairly new to ePDM, I am hoping that maybe I am missing a setting somewhere that will stop SolidWorks from viewing a configuration change as a change to the file.  Some of our large assemblies have many parts with multiple configurations (fasteners) which leads to a large number of warning messages.  I know that I can check the box that says "do not show message again", but I want that message to show up if there is a legitimate file change. 

Maybe I am being too nit-picky, but I want my parts and assemblies to open without the "needs saved" asterisk appearing immediately after opening.  Before we had ePDM, it was just an annoyance but now I am getting warning messages.

I am running SW'10 SP 4.0, HP Z200 i5 3.33 GHz processor, Windows 7 SP1, 64 bit, 12 GB RAM.  NVIDIA Quadro 2000 video card.

• Re: Part configurations in ePDM
          Jim Scott

I am having the exact same issue with our new implementation of solidworks and ePDM. I have a folder in our vault designated "Hardware Library" and in it I have placed several design table parts that control our common hardware and that folder location has been added as a design library. The issue I am having sounds identical Shan's in that when I drop a design table part into my assembly and select the appropriate configuration it is telling me upon check-in that I am attempting to save a part that is not checked out (the library part). I am sure that either the way I have defined the assembly or part is not correct because it would seem to me that the point of having library parts such as screws/washers/pins etc should be that they remain unchanged by the user. Looking for an answer too.

SW 12, ePDM 12

Shan Lentine

Sorry Jim, because I got no responses I forgot I had posted it and did not update it.  The only thing I have is a theory on what SW is doing.  When a part that is saved in a previous version of SW is loaded, SW automatically updates the part to the version of SW that is being used.  SW then views this automatic update as a change to the file.  As you know, you can't save the file when you have ePDM unless you check it out.  I bet that the part you are having an issue with is in a previous version of SW.  If you check it out and save it in the current version of SW the problem should go away.  DISCLAIMER: this is only a theory, I have not been able to thoroughly test it out yet. 

Jim Scott

This is actually a fresh installation in our company, we previously were using Pro/E and have decided to convert to SW. No previous versions of SW here, these parts are brand new created in SW12.

Brian Dalton

My understanding is that this phenomenon is caused by SolidWorks trying to store information back into the referenced file (the part) that identifies the most recent configuration to receive a reference.  This means that anytime you create a reference to a configuration other than the one the SW considers to be the 'active' one, it tries to 'update' the part file with this information.

I don't know why they need to inform a part file of which of its configuration most recently received a reference, but it certainly violates a fundamental concept of the referencing scheme by creating a two-way reference pair that is next to impossible to keep fully updated.  I would definitely like to see an option to turn off this 'feature', or failing that, at least a comprehensive explanation of why we have to deal with this unseemly and confusing behavior.