4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 12:51 PM by Kevin Goosie

Sending a drawing through e-mail

Alan Bravard

Hello, how do I install an e-mail program to SolidWorks so I can send a drawing to another solidworks user.

Thanks Alan

• Re: Sending a drawing through e-mail
          Steve Ostrovsky

Can you not just use Gmail, Outlook or another email application and send as an attachment?

Make sure you send the part & assembly with the drawing if you plan to email. I would use the Pack n go tool to collect everything that the drawing needs to exist away from your computer.

Scott McFadden

Alan,

Welcome to the forum.

I would use Win-zip to compress your files then just use the attachment functionality

of what ever email application you are using like Steve outlined and attach and send.

Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SolidWorks forums Alan.

As Steve said, you can use Gmail, Outlook or another email application and send as an attachment. I would like to ask as what is the purpose of sending SolidWorks drawing?

In case you want to send it for viewing/reference purpose, you might convert it to e-drawings or save as deattached drawing and send. By doing this, you don't need to attach corresponding parts/assembly files along with it. 

You might also find this post helpful for your future reference

Kevin Goosie

Alan,

This all depends on what information you want them to have. Like Steve said you can do a Pack N' Go and select the button to save to a zip file will gather all required SW documents and zip them, Scott's suggestion, in one step.  That is if they need all of the models too. If you both have access to gmail at work you can upload the zip file to Google Documents and share it with the person you need to share it with and then delete it from Google Docs, this also depends on the size of the zip and your Google Docs space. If they do not need the models then save it as a "detached drawing" and send them that file.