4 5 6 7 8 111 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2013 6:11 PM by Maxwell Lazich Go to original post
      • 90. Re: Limitations!
        Sammy Redshaw

We don't have wrap in assembly level.

I have to create assemblies that are fabricated and the have to have a trace number for all the materials used in that assembly. The Assemblies are fabricated and then machined to size so configuring a part  to shown a wrap doesn't really work as the assembly has a welded config and a  final machined config.

Normally I put an annotation in the drawing and time and again this get ignored hence  I would like to wrap text in the assembly so that the manufacturer don't miss important detials like trace numbers part numbers etc.

Would like also to have a lock concetric mate i can give a fastener a concentric mate and conincident mate instead of adding a thrid mate this is useful for fixings and pipe fittings. Can you pay some cash to solidedge for the right to use this function in solidworks.

• 91. Re: Limitations!
          Scott Lyon

Don,

The email is on the way.

As I said in that email, in general most all the sketch tools could use help. So many require multiple clicks to use. To draw an infinite (construction) line on a plane [at an angle] requires 4 mouse clicks before pen ever reaches paper. In AutoCAD it takes one click. With IntelliCAD products it takes one click. Even with DraftSight, which is free, it takes one click. With my $10,000 SolidWorks it takes four. In 2D CAD if I want to copy a line I hit the copy button, the line and then as many places as I want a copy of it in the drawing. In SW you have to first click the dropdown arrow on the Move Entities button, then copy, then another click or two in the left side dialog box.

Another gripe I have is with the Convert Entities command. If I click on the end of a pipe why do I only get the outside of the pipe to convert? Why not the OD and ID? If I click on a pipe flange to convert so I can make a cover plate I get the OD of the flange and no bolt holes. I have to click on each hole in order to get the whole pattern. This goes back to my one month with Alibre Design before switching to SolidWorks. With AD I would get all the objects to convert at once. I could even click on the end edge of a pipe to get a single line on a plane perpendicular to the end of the pipe. If I clicked on the side of a cylinder I could get a rectangle out of it. SolidWorks tells me no, no, no, you can’t do that.

• 92. Re: Limitations!
            Ed Wu

All SW guru's,boards_content.gif

I've been very 'spoiled' by both I-DEAS and NX on the easy conic filleting for more than 18 years.  Just changed job 3 weeks ago and found my hands tightened up with SW.  The conic filleting provide not just style but molding-friendly attribute.  Could comeone help me to do a qiuck 'one-click' feature to replace hours of sweeping, especially round the tight transitions?

FYI, more than 90% of this product line is beneficial from easy conic filleing.

http://icebergenterprises.com/index.html

Ed

• 93. Re: Limitations!
              Eric Kelly

How about being able to click on a simple copy/move feature in the feature tree and have the numbers x,y,z show up so they can be either modified or linked to something or linked to an equation, AND have the number of instances show up so that can be manipulated as well

• 94. Re: Limitations!
                Walter Fetsch

It would also be very helpful to be able to copy and paste fields into the list of custom properties instead of having to select each one individually to add them, or at least select a group of fields from a table and add them all at once.

• 95. Re: Limitations!
                  Justin Strempke

I have a few things, and I'm sure a few more will come up as I think/work.

1)  Sort of along the lines of the Coordinate system comment from a while ago, why not have the primary axes and UCS displayed for initial part/assembly templates?  I've gone in and modified mine to show them, but it used to be quite annoying to keep having to add them in, especially for certain operations that required a CSYS.

2)  I'd personally also like to be able to double-click edit a feature off the tree, instead of clicking and moving up to the shortcuts and selecting edit.  If I want to expand to the feature sketch I can click the + button, but more often than not I am editing the feature when clicking on it.

3)  Having used Inventor in the past, I really miss the ability to relate to a sketch line centerpoint, or an extremity of a circle (horizontal or vertical).  I know you can relate say the origin to the midpoint of a line, but in automatically makes them coincident as well (annoying!!)  I have to double dimension the line length, then add an equated distance of 1/2 from the line endpoint to the origin (in this case).

4)  In Simulation, I have some bones with meshing.  A few big ones are the inablitity to use bricks, and adjust the element thickness (as in a depth of a tube wall in cases where shells aren't applicable).  SW uses a single layer most of the time, but say I would like a two-element thick mesh, there's no way to do with without making two separate extusions nested together, then I have to mess with compatible mesh and bonding.

5)  Also with meshing, it's a bit of a pain to make a ton of split lines wherever two surfaces meet.  Having already gone through work to do mid-surface planes and extensions, it's just a hassle to do a step that should be automatic.  And when doing so, say you have a single suface you need to split from 4 perp. planes, it would be nice to have a multiple input option, similar to multiple-mates.  Then you could click the surface to be split, and the 4 input planes, and whether or not it creates a single feature with multiple lines or multiple features I'm not sure how it would need to sort out.

Just my $.02 for now!

• 96. Re: Limitations!
                    Glenn Schroeder

For your 2):  If you have the Dynamic Highlight button turned on you can click on a feature to show it's dimensions, then double-click the dimension in your graphics area to bring up the dimension dialog box, where you can edit the feature dimension.  Or you can RMB on the feature in the tree and choose the Edit icon that will pop up (upper left), or the edit sketch icon (second from left).  Does that help?

• 97. Re: Limitations!
                      Justin Strempke

I do use the Dynamic Edit, though in assemblies it sometimes is hard to distinguish where I'm working/editing.  Otherwise, yes, I RMB (or just single-click) in the tree feature icon and click the feature edit icon.  I'm just used to double-click on something to open/edit windows-style.

• 98. Re: Limitations!
                        Eric Kelly

not on a copy/move feature

• 99. Re: Limitations!
                          Dwight Livingston

Justin Strempke wrote:

3)  Having used Inventor in the past, I really miss the ability to relate to a sketch line centerpoint, or an extremity of a circle (horizontal or vertical).  I know you can relate say the origin to the midpoint of a line, but in automatically makes them coincident as well (annoying!!)  I have to double dimension the line length, then add an equated distance of 1/2 from the line endpoint to the origin (in this case).

In a sketch, you can select the midpoint of a line and create a relationship with it.

Capture.PNG

You can't select a quadrant point in a circle to create a realationship, but you can draw a construction line from it to another sketch feature in order to set this sort of relationship.

Capture.PNG

• 100. Re: Limitations!
                            Justin Strempke

Dwight,

I forgot about the Select Midpoint option, thanks for reminding me!  There are lots of ways to make construction references, but my point is that it would be nice and more productive workflow-wise if these things were immediate instead of having to go through multiple clicks or reference objects.  For instance the midpoint, why not just make it active when you mouse-over when doing relations, as with an end-point? 

• 101. Re: Limitations!
                              John Ehrhardt

Reply to Jan 25, 2012 post.  This went to the bottom of all messages.

Agreed.  Dialog windows should not change size and cover the selected area of focus.

• 102. Re: Limitations!
                                John Ehrhardt

select midpoint- agree.  It should reveal the point without additional menu clicks. The automatic mid pop up on an existing line occurs only during  creation of a new element that can snap.

select an overlaid item- It could be highlighted with scroll wheel motion without additional clicks in select other, select from list.

• 103. Re: Limitations!
                                  Greg Van Arsdale

We do alot of configurations...think about sprockets...number of teeth, bore diameter, shaft key size, etc...some of our models literally have hundreds of configs.

I wish that I could copy an exploded view from the active config, to all of the other configs at once, instead of only one at a time. That gets old in a hurry !

Enjoy this day!

Greg

• 104. Re: Limitations!
                                    Walter Fetsch

Scott Lyon wrote:

Another gripe I have is with the Convert Entities command. If I click on the end of a pipe why do I only get the outside of the pipe to convert? Why not the OD and ID? If I click on a pipe flange to convert so I can make a cover plate I get the OD of the flange and no bolt holes. I have to click on each hole in order to get the whole pattern.

Scott, if you select the end face of the pipe or flange, Convert Entities will get ID, OD, and any holes that are present.

4 5 6 7 8