4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 3:35 AM by James Head

Edm.tlb file and PDMWorks Enterprise 2008 Type Library

James Head

"The “SolidWorks Enterprise PDM Programmer’s Reference Guide” on the second topic under “Overview”, “Stand-alone applications in Visual Basic” says that we need to use Add Reference from the Project menu in Visual Basic to add “PDMWorks Enterprise 2008 Type Library” under the COM tab. We don’t have this listed under our COM tab so we’ve tried the further instructions that “SolidWorks Enterprise PDM Programmer’s Reference Guide” mentions and used the Browse tab to locate and select the Edm.tlb file however the “PDMWorks Enterprise 2008 Type Library” still doesn’t appear in the COM list.

If I copy the example program into a VB program I have 9 errors listed as shown below:

Error 1 'Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs)' has multiple definitions with identical signatures. C:\Documents and Settings\James.Head\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Projects\WindowsApplication1\Form1.vb 3 17 WindowsApplication1
      Error 2 Statement cannot appear within a method body. End of method assumed. C:\Documents and Settings\James.Head\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Projects\WindowsApplication1\Form1.vb 8 5 WindowsApplication1
      Error 3 Type 'EdmVault5' is not defined. C:\Documents and Settings\James.Head\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Projects\WindowsApplication1\Form1.vb 12 22 WindowsApplication1
      Error 4 Type 'EdmVault5' is not defined. C:\Documents and Settings\James.Head\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Projects\WindowsApplication1\Form1.vb 13 21 WindowsApplication1
      Error 5 Type 'IEdmFile5' is not defined. C:\Documents and Settings\James.Head\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Projects\WindowsApplication1\Form1.vb 18 21 WindowsApplication1
      Error 6 Type 'IEdmFolder5' is not defined. C:\Documents and Settings\James.Head\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Projects\WindowsApplication1\Form1.vb 19 23 WindowsApplication1
      Error 7 Type 'IEdmPos5' is not defined. C:\Documents and Settings\James.Head\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Projects\WindowsApplication1\Form1.vb 23 20 WindowsApplication1
      Error 8 'End Sub' must be preceded by a matching 'Sub'. C:\Documents and Settings\James.Head\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Projects\WindowsApplication1\Form1.vb 58 5 WindowsApplication1
      Error 9 'End Class' must be preceded by a matching 'Class'. C:\Documents and Settings\James.Head\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Projects\WindowsApplication1\Form1.vb 59 1 WindowsApplication1

I guess this shows that the “PDMWorks Enterprise 2008 Type Library” isn’t available still despite my following the instructions to browse and select the Edm.tlb file."

How do I add this library?  We're using Visual Studio 2010 and Solidworks EnterprisePDM 2010 SP3.

• Re: Edm.tlb file and PDMWorks Enterprise 2008 Type Library
          Jeff Sweeney

Pretty funny, my 2012 documentation says to load the 2008 version as well!

Try manually adding it by clicking on the browse tab and browse to: C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Enterprise PDM\EdmInterface.dll

• Re: Edm.tlb file and PDMWorks Enterprise 2008 Type Library
              James Head

Thanks for the reply.  I tried your instructions but there was still no sign of the COM addin "PDMWorks Enterprise 2008 Type Library".

I opened two service requests on this, on the 12 January: SR # 1-2393466950 and SR # 1-2392403895.  Actually I only meant to open one service request but as I didn't get any acknowledgement back from Solidworks within an hour, then four hours later I sent another e-mail, as well as asking our value-added support to submit one.  There has been no responce at all from Solidworks on this.

I tried from fresh though and found out that it appears the help file has an error.  My "SolidWorks Enterprise PDM Programmer's Reference Guide" help file ("API_GBB.chm") states for the following:

Solidworks API help file.png

This shows the type library clearly being "PDMWorks Enterprise 2008 Type Library".

Going through again and following the instructions exactly I still could not find this type library listed.

When I went through the rest of the list though I spotted a new entry I'd not noticed before: "SolidWorks Enterprise PDM 2010 Type Library" - as below. 

VisualStudio dialogue.png

I guess that may have been what you were referring to by the 2008 version?

Trying the example program out with this worked.

The images in the "PDMWorks Enterprise 2008 Type Library" are quite clearly wrong which makes me wonder what else might be wrong in it when we actually start trying to write proper code?