4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 4:00 PM by Jerry Steiger

Shell definition

Jack Zhang

When using "Define Shell By Selected Faces" to change a solid to shell, where is the midplane of the shell located?  Is it the selected surface?

Thanks.

• Re: Shell definition
          Anthony Botting

Hi Jack: The midsurface location of the shell does default to the selected surface. Depending on the version you have, there is an "advanced" option to offset the shell midsurface from the surface that you selected. Hope that helps! - Tony

Jack Zhang

If the default midsurface is the the selected surface, when I want  the midsuface of the shell located at the true midsurface of the model, how can I select the offset value? 0.5 or -0.5? How can I know the direcion of the selected surface and whether direction of the surface is outward the model?  Whether the plus offset value is along the direction of the selected surface?

Thanks

Jerry Steiger

Jack,

Did you get this figured out on your own?

Does Simulation show you a preview of the offset surface, like you get when you do an Offset Surface in SolidWorks? Toggling back and forth between positive and negative should show the "wrong" one if it does.

If it doesn't, then I suppose the best solution might be to offset the surfaces in SolidWorks and then analyze the surface model, assuming that is possible.

Jerry Steiger