5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2016 1:58 PM by Bill Stadler

Is there a way to copy Group Settings/Permissions in EPDM?

Todd Barr

We have created a Group, spent much time getting it set up the way we want, and now would like to make another group with almost identical setting/permissions. The permission setting we want to change for the copied group is different Folder permissions.

Thanks,

Todd

• Re: Is there a way to copy Group Settings/Permissions in EPDM?
          James Pepper

Todd,

This is something I too have wanted.

A partial solution for me has been to create a generic "Workflow" group with the permissions common to all main users.

Then I create a project group with specific folder permissions. So project users belong to a minimum of two groups.

My solution isn't much help to those who require complicated workflows.

Jeff Sweeney

If you want to copy only administrative permissions:

1. RMB click on the group, and export it
            2. Rename the group to the name you want to create
            3. Take the group you exported (it will have the original name) and drag it back to your vault's tree

You'll now have two groups with identical administrative permissions...but that is it, no other settings will be copied. IMHO I think the export process should export everything, or at least a lot more than it does.

By the way, this method works for most nodes in the admin tree (i.e. workflows), most work better than groups.

Bill Stadler

Another method I have found for creating a group with similar rights is:

1. Create the new group and select OK.
              2. Right-click on Groups and select Open.
              3. Ctrl-select the new group and the group you want to use.
              4. Right-Click and select Properties.
              5. You can now go down and select the permissions that you want to be the same as the group you are modeling after.  Be careful with adding additional write that are not already selected as it will add it to both.  I select the ones that I want to be the same and then go back in to the new group and add any additional.

I use this method if I need a different group for a different set of users with similar rights but not all.

I use Jeff's method when I want to add additional rights above and beyond the group they are already in.