6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 12:03 PM by Ron McCarry

adding refernces to task script

Ron McCarry

I would like a file convert task to also write to an MS Access table. Is there a way to add a refernce to the Access database engine withing the advanced scriptiong options form in the task add-on? IMO, it would be so much easer if EPDM included the VBA editor like in SolidWorks.

• Re: adding refernces to task script
          Jeff Sweeney

I haven't tested it, but I can't think of why you couldn't...I've controlled Word and Excel with an EPDM task.

You won't be able to add a reference like what you can with a VBA editor, it will have to be an OBJECT.

The only concern I would have for you is if you are running on a 64 bit system and using ADODB or JET drivers, I personally have lots of problems getting them to work. (Though I have heard this isn't an issue with Office 2010??)

Please keep us in the loop for this project, I'm looking forward to learning how it goes!

Ron McCarry

So I would be using late binding and declare everyting as Object?

I will give that a try and post back.

Jeff Sweeney

Yup. Here is a tip. Write and debug as much as you can in VBA. Then when you are sure you have it working, port the code to your task. Debugging inside of a task is very difficult.

Ron McCarry

The following code will open an access database inside the EPDM task add-on.

There is a problem if any of your field names contains special characters and you need to use [ ]. The task add-on will replace any test in a string bracketed by [ ] with an empty string. I looks like it's treating it like a macro. So for example the following line.

strSql = "SELECT tblParts.Description FROM tblParts WHERE (((tblParts.[PART#]) = '" & FileName & "'));"

is changed in the VBA code to

strSql = "SELECT tblParts.Description FROM tblParts WHERE (((tblParts.) = '" & FileName & "'));"

Does anyone know how to escape these characters??? I even tried the following.

strSql = "SELECT tblParts.Description FROM tblParts WHERE (((tblParts." & "[" & "PART#" & "]" & ) = '" & FileName & "'));"

Sub WritePAIPartPath(FileName As String, FullPath As String)

' Debug.Assert False ' Un comment this line to debug

On Error GoTo errWritePAIPartPath

' Late binding to Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 6.0 Library

' Write the saved path for FileName, 1 for line written, 0 if none written

Const adOpenDynamic = 2

Const adLockReadOnly = 1

Dim oConnection As Object

Dim oRecordset As Object

Dim strSql As String

Dim lRecordsAffected As Long

' Open connection to database file

Set oConnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

oConnection.Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"

oConnection.Open "File Path to Acess Database.mdb"

Set oRecordset = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

' Check if filename is a part number

strSql = "SELECT tblParts.Description FROM tblParts WHERE (((tblParts.[PART#]) = '" & FileName & "'));"

oRecordset.Open strSql, oConnection, adOpenDynamic, adLockReadOnly

If oRecordset.EOF Then

Debug.Print oRecordset.Description

End If

oRecordset.Close

Set oRecordset = Nothing

oConnection.Close

Set oConnection = Nothing

Exit Sub

errWritePAIPartPath:

Log "Could not write path for " & FileName & vbCrLf & Err.Description

On Error Resume Next

oRecordset.Close

Set oRecordset = Nothing

oConnection.Close

Set oConnection = Nothing

End Sub