4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2012 12:27 PM by Jeremy Feist

Sharing of Sub-Assemblies in EPDM

Kevin Stickels

OK folks, I need some help here. Everything I am finding regarding the sharing of assemblies and sub-assemblies within EPDM indicates there are problems. So far, I know I can share component models between projects in EPDM but the sharing of assemblies is considered a No-No. The only "work around" I have found has been to give new part numbers to identical assemblies. I can see this rapidly turning into quite a quagmire very quickly. Has anyone on the forums had this type of issue? The majority of our projects use common sub-assemblies assembled with other mostly common sub-assemblies, with new assemblies stuck in the mix to create the top level product. We are a protoype shop so this is the norm for us. Any input, direction, commiseration, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks... 

• Re: Sharing of Sub-Assemblies in EPDM
          Jeremy Feist

when you say share, are you referring to the "paste as share" function?

I have never really seen the benefit of that function. I would put you common parts/ sub-assys in a convenient spot and leave them there. Neither SW nor EPDM care what your file structure is, as long as it is consistent.

Kevin Stickels

I'm finding that out. To fill in the story's background, when I implemented EPDM in March 2010 I was directed to set up the file structure as such...

1. Create a Folder for a particular Project

2. Populate that folder with the compnonents, sub-assemblies, and assemblies (models and drawings).

3. Create a new project and share the common files between them.

I am surmising that is probably not the best way to do this. Another wrinkle to add to the "soup" is that after we build and test a prototype product, it is released to production outside the US. We need to be able to control what components, models, etc. can be seen at our production facility.  We have multiple product lines that cover the entire range from prototype to production. If I may ask, what would be your recommendation for file structure for the models and drawings? Control issues? If I understand correctly, the Project folders I create will house the design data, specifications, notes, etc. for the project. The CAD files will reside in a more "conventional" (??) file structure outside the project. The controls that were placed upon me early last year have been removed and I can modify the structure to a better system. Now would be a great time as we only have a couple of hundred files currently in EPDM.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated and I thank you for your time...

Jeremy Feist

without knowing a lot more than you should share about the nature of your projects, I can't really get into the file structure aspect.most of that is personal preference anyway.

but for controlling access to files there are a few choices. you can control based on workflow states and folders. so the 2 simplest options for controlling access would be either a) parallel folders or b) parallel workflows.

Tim Read

There is no problem whatsoever in sharing assemblies between projects so long as you carefully maintain them.

No changes to an assembly unless the change is compatible in ALL assemblies it is used in.  The exact same situation with parts.....

I would say that comments to the contrary are with regards to delivering the design (finished product, etc) to an external company and having to maintain it over time - being able to know 100% that the revision of that part in EPDM will fit in the product at the customer.  It just makes it easier to create a complete copy but this removes a lot of the benefits of using a PDM system.