3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 12:13 PM by Gabe Ahseln

Thermal Analysis Discrepancy

Gabe Ahseln

Hello,

A premptive thank you for anyone with information on this anomaly I have noticed in SW Simulation. I have an assembly with a sensor defined in SW determining the average temperature of a flat plate exchanger exposed to natural convection + radiation heat transfer. I have noticed that if I run the same analysis but change the orientation of the assembly (top view vs bottom view) the values I get for the average temperature change! If I repeat the analysis in the same orientation I get the same results, but as soon as I change the view and recalculate, the results change.

Any input is much appreciated!

• Re: Thermal Analysis Discrepancy
          David Maxham

Gabe - sounds like one strange "view factor" to me.    Sorry, I don't have a clue - but maybe if you tried turning off radiation temporarily and re-running the model to see if you still get the same effect from a change in orientation?

Dave

Gabe Ahseln

After doing some more troubleshooting, I found that even if I don't change the view orientation, Solidworks gives me a range of solutions for the average temperature of the exchanger from 30.0-31.4. It seems like Solidworks is performing itterations and locking onto different solutions each time.

Is this a possible culprit? Is there any way to change the itteration definitions in Solidworks?

Not to get sidetracked from the original issue, but I have an additional queurery about heat flux in SW. It appears as though Solidworks dissobeyes Kirchoff's laws! If I probe the average heat flux in the Y-direction over a heat collecting surface (constant temp boundary) and multiply by that area to get a total heat flux value, and then if I look at the total heat flux through the peice in the middle (refer to picture) they are different! Additionally, if I look at the total heat flux through the top plate and compare it to the flux through the bottom plate, they are also different!

Untitled.jpg

Gabe Ahseln

If others run into this problem, I found that making the mesh significantly smaller helped resolve the issues.