4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 3:59 AM by John Layne

whats the best way to model this?

Joel Rapoport

hello all,

im working on this model and im not getting the results im looking for.

i tried to split the model into 2 parts (top and bottom) and loft between then but in not getting as smooth results as i want, and im getting all kinds of strange bumps from the surface lofts that its hard to control.

its a stugle between making a lot of guides, and getting smooth parts with the sape that i want...

it this the best way to model this form? how would you do it or split it?

i have to say that there is another part of the model that i havent done yet, and it should continue the form on the bottom side.

i have looked at the freeform videos on youtube and they seem amazing, allthough i have never used it. can it help me out?

any help will be great,

thanks in advance,

joel

Part6.JPG

Part61.JPG

• Re: whats the best way to model this?
          Matt Lombard

Joel,

Freeform is a nice demo piece, but it doesn't really help with most real modeling projects. I've used it I think once on something that had kind of a special shape (trying to simulate splashing water). For the shape you're trying to create, it looks like you're doing it the right way, or at least the way I would do it, for what that's worth. I'd make the top cylindrical surface first, then the bottom, and trim out a section on the bottom where you want the blend from the transition to end. Then I'd draw splines connecting the top surface to the bottom surface, and make a Boundary surface connecting the top and bottom. The edges would be one direction, using tangent or curvature, and the sketches would be the other direction, using normal to profile.

If that doesn't work, the next thing I'd try would be to make the transition surface come into the bottom surface without the blend. Just make it touch the bottom at an angle that allows you to control the rest of the transition surface shape. And then apply the blend separately, either as a face fillet with C2, or by manually trimming and then using a boundary surface. One easy way to get a nice blend is to just put a regular fillet over the corner, making the fillet a little larger than you need it to be. Then use Delete Face to get rid of the fillet, connect the opening with sketch splines, and blend with a boundary. This just uses the fillet to do the trimming automatically.

Could you be more specific about where you are getting results you don't like? On something this simple, SolidWorks should be able to do what you want.

Best of luck.

• Re: whats the best way to model this?
            Joel Rapoport

wow, thanks guys...

matt, i didnt know the boundry function and i gave it a go as you suggested. it gave me better results but still not perfect.

john, thanks for the time you spent on this- it really helps becouse i didnt even think about "breaking" the model into parts in the same way that you did. as i see it, using the boundry function for the main area which is the biggest problem, gives better control and smoother results that i didnt get from my other attempts.

thanks again, now ill model it again the way john suggested and ill see if this way gets me where i need to be.

thsnks,

joel