21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 6:20 PM by Bud Wilkinson

Help with SW 2007 and Win 7 SNL Trouble.

Bud Wilkinson

So I have been searching and found several folks are successfully running SW 2007 on Win 7.

I have a pretty powerful Win 7 pro 64 bit machine that I would like to switch to for my SW CAD work.

I have a SNL 2 seat license for my copy of SW 2007 Premium. I have this up and running on my older Win XP machine as the server as well as the client. This works without trouble except the XP machine is getting long in the tooth.

I can install everything without error including my snl-email-license.txt file and Solidwork Network License Administrator. When I go to set up the SNL server.

With my dongle installed and recognized by windows, when I set the default server at "25734/myserver" the dongle/port are not found and I recieve the error mesage, "Could not get information from this server:

(-5,2222,2)

Either the computer name and/or port number are incorrect or the server is not running or is not on the network.

Are you sure you want to add this server?" at install.

SWLicenseDenial001.jpg

I have set all *.exe files for solidworks to "Run in compatibility mode>WinXP SP3" and "Run as Administrator" as well.

Attached are screenshots of my errors. I am trying to avoid installing winxp mode and virtual machine to keep those resources for solidworks. Others seem to be having success with single seat stand alone editions of SW 2007 without Win XP Mode.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Re: Help with SW 2007 and Win 7 SNL Trouble.
          Anna Wood

A couple of your images show a / instead of a @ for your server.  Use the @ symbol for port@server

Cheers,

Anna

Bud Wilkinson

Anna,

How very asstute of you. I didn't catch that at all. I must have reverted to some network, albiet backwards, language in my frustration. I am certian I entered it correctly the first time.

However after removing 25734/ewe5 and setting the 25734@ewe5 with the dongle not inserted, then a reboot with the dongle inserted and resetting the port@server i still get the same error. Oddly I can sellect yes and read the license.txt file at all times from SNL Admin.

Thanks for the very fast response,

SWLicenseDenial006.jpg

SWLicenseDenial007.jpg

Bud Wilkinson

Still need help here. Anyone with any ideas please. I did download the latest hasp drivers and tried the recomended 1947@myserver port. Oddly enough the port and server were taken without error for the first time but when clicking to "License Usage" tab I still get the "Could not get information from this server" error.

Pulling my hair out a bit now and nearly giving up.

Deepak Gupta

I'm not sure if that will work since 2007 is not supported/recommended for Win 7. Only 2010 and onwards are supported/recommended on Win 7

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/SystemRequirements.html

But you can try to switch off the firewall and disable the UAC (in control panel and check).

Bud Wilkinson

Deepak,

Thanks for posting back.

You may be completely correct. I would think it could be done but it may very well be this is just not possible in Win 7.

I am aware that SW2007 is not recomended nor supported for Win Vista or Win 7. However I was encouraged by forum posts elswhere of those who are having success with SW 2007 and Win 7. So far those seem to be for standalone license installs and not SNL multi seat installs.

It seems the breakdown comes when LMGRD.exe looks for the USB Hasp device when prompted by SNL Administrator and consequently when trying to launch SW 2007 or any component that requires a license fails. While the license TXT file can be read the SNL Administrator apparantly can't pass it along without seeing the USB dongle. Why it can't, I have no idea.

Oddly enough I really only want to use it as a standalone anyway and can easily do it on the supported/recomended Win XP machine when the dongle is plugged in there. The Win 7 machine is just Soooo Much better.

I have disabled UAC and had an exception in the firewall for all the SW exe files but have not attempted it with the firewall off completely. I'll give it one more go without the firewall.

Failing with that I will just wait maybe another month for an answer then resolve myself to using SW 2007 on the Win XP machine. Then get a standalone SW 2012 when I can afford it for the Win 7 machine. Then Win 8 will be out and........

Thanks,

Bud

Anna Wood

The usb hasp drivers are probably not compatible with Windows 7.

FWIW,

Anna

Bud Wilkinson

Anna,

I have installed the latest hasp drivers for Win 7 64 bit. The install also recomended a different port of 1947. that one clears the "Add Server" dialogue box but still doesn't work when opening the "License Useage" tab.

Wayne,

For some reason I am also not able to get a recognition with the dongle in the XP machine and running pointing to that license server. I will try this without the firewall running too.  Ultimately I would want to be able to take the one Win 7 machine on the road and be able to use SW with just the dongle inserted.

Thank you both for giving your input. Still scratching my head here.

Bud.

Wayne Matus

Use the old xp computer for the SNL license manager and your new Win7 computer for SolidWorks. They do not have to be on that same computer, they would both have to be running to run SolidWorks though.

Bud Wilkinson

Ok so I have tried turning the firewall off on both computers. I can both ping and transfer files between the two computers in both dirrections. The dongle is inserted in the XP machine and SW 2007 runs on that machine without trouble. On the Win7 machine I still can not get a dongle read from the Win XP machine to the Win 7 machine across the network. The license text file is readable and shows no problems when highlit and details is selected on the "Server Administration" tab for all 3 license instances in the text file.

On the somewhat odd side is that, on the Win7 machine, no log is readable when "view Log" is pressed and no "lmgrd.log" file is present in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Solidworks SolidNetWork License Manager" folder where it is in the XP machine with the exception that it is "C:\Program Files\Solidworks SolidNetWork License Manager" in the XP machine without the (x86).

I am not sure if this path can or should be changed in the registry or not. Also if one part of it's opperation like a failure to find the specified path to deposit the log file would throw it completely int a failure to read the dongle or release a license.

Bud Wilkinson

So as a quick test I made and named an empty folder "C:\Program Files\Solidworks SolidNetWork License Manager" on the Win 7 machine and still no lmgrd.log file. So that doesn't seem to be the problem but I did not try to copy the contents of the folder to my empty dummy folder either.

Bud Wilkinson

Well I'm really bummin out now. Nothing seems to be working for the snl recognition of the dongle in SolidNetWork License Administrator.

I even brokedown and tried XP Mode within Win 7 with no luck at all. Unable to even get the dongle to show up in that with the Sentinall drivers installed.

UUuuggghhhhh....... Come On man...... I'm not trying to pirate a license or copy of SW here. Just trying to make it all work.

Uninstalling all of it in utter frustration....

Walter Fetsch

Bud, I see that you tried to send me a private message.  I wasn't able to receive it and can't find any way to locate it.  Sorry.

I'm no expert on SNL or networking, but I keep thinking that the SNL can't find the port that you're giving it.  What happens if you plug the dongle into the W7 box (its name is ewe5, right?), open a DOS box, and type 'ping ewe5'?

Bud Wilkinson

Hey Walter,

My PM was just asking to be friends (thanks for that) and if your SW2007 was network or standalone. Also if the standalone version uses a dongle or a software password. I need some guidence from someone who has had success with SW2007 on Win 7.

I am certianly not a networking expert either but this should be pretty simple stuff. The machine can either see the dongle on a local or network port or it can't. I tried what you suggested (yes the W7 box is ewe5) and got success. I'm just not sure how to ping a specific port or determine if the requested port is open or not. Nor can I determine the actual port number the dongle is in. I believe traffic is routed to either unused port designations or grabs the specified port (25734). This is meant to be one that Solidworks has determined would not likely be used by any other entities.

Oddly enough I can also ping the XP machine by IP address and name from the W7 box and still can't get SNL to read the dongle in that machine at port 25734 when it is running and SW is running on the XP machine leaving one license available.

Exasperated for sure.

Bud

SWLicenseDenial008.jpg

Bud Wilkinson

Ok,

First I need to clerify that all this is being done over a wireless network.

Now I need to make a correction to the above post. The XP box (ewecad) CAN NOT be pinged via it's computer name from the Win 7 box (ewe5) but can be pinged via its Dynamic IP address. The Win 7 box and the XP box can both be pinged locally via their Name or Dynamic IP addresses.

I found a very cool and simple free Port Tester here http://porttest.blogspot.com . No install required just unzip and run the EXE. This tool was run from the Win 7 box and searched for the Win 7 box port 25734 with both the IP address and the name. Both tests on the localhost say

"connecting to 192.168.2.5 server  and port 25734

...waiting for server to response...

No connection to 192.168.2.5 server  and port 25734

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.2.5:25734

Port Not Available"

or

"connecting to ewe5 server  and port 25734

No connection to ewe5 server  and port 25734

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.2.5:25734

Port Not Available"

The tool run from the Win 7 box shows the same result when testing for ewecad:25734 across the network however when testing with its IP address across the network it shows.

"connecting to 192.168.2.9 server  and port 25734

Port  Available"

Could this be progress?

I have also enabled the ports specifically in Win 7 Windows Firewall with no result. I wouldn't think the firewall would interfere with localhost traffic but that's all I could find durring google searches and lots of reading.

Going to do a lot more reading and............

As a test I might reinstall SW2007 and point at 25734@192.168.2.9 or whatever the Dynamic IP is for the XP box to see if it can even run. Then resolve why ewecad can't be pinged from the Win7 box as ewecad. Still need to resolve why the 25734 port is not available to the Win 7 localhost though.

Bud Wilkinson

So I reinstalled just Solidworks SolidNetWorkLicense Administrator. I checked the IP addresses and attempted to add server 25734@192.168.2.9, the ewecad XP box that shows the port is available, with the dongle inserted and SW2007 running on that machine.

Still no recognition of the dongle with the Port@IP address. The SNL may not recognize IP addresses so that could be the problem.

Guess I have to resolve what may be the bigger issue of a basic networking problem where network computer names are not seen, found, searchable or pingable from the Win 7 box.

This still leaves me with the trouble of an actively refused port on the localhost Win 7 computer.

Holly Cow....This shouldn't be this difficult!!!

Walter Fetsch

Bud, I'm getting a little overwhelmed by all of this because there are too many variables.  I would recommend selecting one configuration and trying to make it work.  If you want the XP box to be your server, then attempt nothing more related to having the server on the W7 box and vice versa.

If you want the XP box to be your server, then you must correct the problem of not being able to ping it by name.  That is a DNS problem.  I'm not really clear on the configuration of your network, but I hunch that both computers need to look at the same DNS server.  If you can ping ewe5 by name but not ewecad, then go to a DOS box in ewe5 and type 'ipconfig /all'.  That will give you the address of the DNS server.  Do the same on ewecad.  It probably will not have the same address listed.  Either that or you'll find that ewecad is unable to ping the DNS server.  Correcting the DNS problem will either solve the problem or it will eliminate a variable.  Either way, it's a step in the right direction.

Good luck!

Bud Wilkinson

Hey Walter,

Sorry to overwhelm you too. But your input is very valuable to me as someone who has been successful with SW 2007 on Win 7 over SNL.

You have made some great points here. I believe my network must have a DNS server problem.

Also the goal is to make the W7 box it's own server as the XP box is for itself. Self contained and portable in one box.

I have no real need for two seats anyway, I just inherited it that way as payment for a debt owed by my old employer.

I only continue to try the XP as port@server because it is recognized and is known to work from the XP box.

You make a great point in that I should stop that bevaivior now if that isn't the final goal.

Either way my network would work much better once the DNS server issue is corrected. I will do the DOS "ipconfig /all" comand from them both to fix that part of my network anyway. That variable is something that has been problematic for some time anyway. Adding a network place or mapping a network drive have only been possible using IP numbers in the past and it has been hit or miss if the computer names could be seen in "Network Places". I didn't even think of the DNS server so much thanks for that.

Network is a simple peer to peer with a modem, router, peers setup.

Walter Fetsch

Bud Wilkinson wrote:

Nor can I determine the actual port number the dongle is in.

I believe that SW is assigning and looking for a virtual port number, not a physical port number.  It's not related to the USB port.

I am running SW2007 with SNL 2011.  Obviously, there is a strong possibility of an updated installer with 2011.  Also, I'm running on a domain with a Windows 2003 server.  Some significant differences between our architecture.

Bud Wilkinson

So my DNS server is my router and can be pinged by both boxes without trouble. I have tried a networking hotfix (KB958559) for the xp box to send it's name out on the network. The problem definitely seems to be some computer name resolution difficulty.

Still no luck with the basic network name function part. The broader question is why can't the W7 box see its own ports as available.

Working on another project for now but I want a solution so I'll keep digging.