11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2017 1:12 PM by Ben Stoe

Architectural Floor Plan

John Roosa

How do I use SW 2011 to create 2D floor plans?

• Re: Architectural Floor Plan
          Timothy Holman

I have used solidworks drawings to create floor plans for evacuation routes and simple things like that.  You can create a new drawing an just use the sketch tools to create the plan. 

John Roosa

Thanks Tim.  I'm new to SW and still trying to find my way around.  I believe I also need to change units to feet and inches?  Will this then show as I draw the lines?

Timothy Holman

SolidWorks does not have a reputation for being a great architectural design software.  You can use the tools available to get a result.  It is weird working with large sketches in a drawing because when you sketch it does not scale.  You do want to change your units to feet and inches you can do this through the document properties but what you may want to do is create the sketch on a plane in the part enviornment then save that part file that is just a sketch and insert that into a drawing because then you can scale it as you wish and maintain the correct dimensions.  if you sketch a ten foot wall in a drawing it will be much bigger than your drawing sheet. 

Anna Wood

John,

SolidWorks is not the best tool for 2D work.

Try Draftsight, www.draftsight.com, it is a very good, FREE, AutoCAD 2D clone.

Cheers,

Anna

John Stoltzfus

Good morning John,

Someone used to AutoCAD for floor plans would throw out SW quite quickly, however I have used it for years doing site plans for large projects.  I have a library of equipment that I just insert and go, what I like is I can do it quicker in SW then my co-worker can do it in AC and I have instant on the go 3D.

I wouldn't even consider using AC, goes to show that it's what you like and what your used to,

Later,

John

Anna Wood

John S.

Are you doing 2D sketching in SolidWorks in a slddrw or 3D modeling of your floor plans?

Cheers,

Anna

John Stoltzfus

Good afternoon Anna,

3D Modeling Only,

First I need to clarify, I do site plans that our sales people use to sell the job and equipment placement, it's not the the Empire State Building .

Within some of the plans I do get involved a little on the actual architectural floor plan of an existing building, however it's not as detailed as a house plan or supermarket, etc.., however, I personally would use it for those types of buildings.  There is no way I would go back to straight 2D, even if it's easier.  I want the visual.

I just got finished with a preliminary layout (below) and have another one here on my desk to get done

Later,

John

PS: If I would want to do everything in 2D I would have used AC

BC-A-9001-D1.JPGBC-A-9001-D2.JPGBC-A-9001-D3.JPG

Ben Stoe

six years later but I'm running across the same questions and since AC is on my other machine necessity was the mother of invention.

made a 3d model of a space then used the top view as usual for plan view.

to achieve elevation views if interior walls drag instances of the top view off to the side. you will need two

with one you can section view to walls

with the other create the other two elevation views

with the views you have now created right click and detach alignment

rotate for a horizontal view more appropriate to architectural plans

take it from thereCapture.JPG