5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2011 9:45 AM by Malay Desai

Need to save data from crashed laptop

Malay Desai

Hi I have a crashed laptop and there are some files checked out on it.

How can I get those files check back in? Can I connect it's hard drive to another computer and access that hard drive to check files back in?

• Re: Need to save data from crashed laptop
          RICH PAUZA

Yes you can - as long as the hard drive did not fail.   I have had to do this quite a few times. 

New Egg sells a deal that will power up your hard drive & let you plug it into the USB of a working machine.

Pretty sweet. 

I believe it is made by Rosewell.

Gert Jansen

If the laptop is fairly recent, then the disk is probably SATA.

You can connect the laptop's SATA disk to a SATA connector on a desktop computer.

Both the SATA power cable and the SATA data cable are identical on 2.5" and 3.5" disks

it requires you to open the case of the desktop cable and to play around with the cables a bit, but if you're not afraid of doing that, this is by far the easiest and fastest solution (and cheap too )

Ravi Teja

Hi Malay,

Have made changes to Checked out Files?.If yes,You will have to connect the hard drive to another comp.Conver the EPDM icon to a folder then try copying file out.

Regards

Ravi T

Corey Hinman

I'm sure you know this already, but if you can't recover from disk you can log in as Admin and release the checkout lock. Meaning any changes since checkout will be lost.

Malay Desai

Hi Guys

Thanks for all help.

I removed hard disk from laptop and connected it to the other computer through SATA connector. My problem was I could see the new disk but it will not allow me an access to it and gave me a message "this view is not connected to database". I was running out of time so called Dell on site and got motherboard replaced. Had laptop running again and checked back all files in.

Ravi: I think I could have saved more time if I had your suggestion. I hope I do not end up in this situation again but if I ever, then now I know what to do with it. Thanks a lot for the information.