4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 4:02 PM by Brian Zias

Heat transfer through simple object

Sean MacLeod

I am new to the simulation part of solidworks and am having trouble. I have tried to find a tutorial on how do to what I need but my case is so over simplified that all of the help is more advanced than my problem. The problem is:

I have a triangular geometry with corners at a fillet ( my shape is irrelevant, i just need the process so lets treat it as it's a wall). I am trying to simulate the heat transfer through this "wall" by heating one side. I need one side of the wall to be at lets say 1600 K and need to know how it transfers through the wall and view the transient solution until it reaches equillibrium. Can anyone help with this simple problem? If you need more details just ask.

Thanks!

• Re: Heat transfer through simple object
          Jerry Steiger

Sean,

The guys who know what they are talking about haven't answered yet, so I try to help out.

How much do you know about thermodynamics and heat transfer?

If I read you correctly, you have a triangular shaped part and you are applying heat to one of the triangular faces and want to know how fast the other triangular side heats up and what temperature it will stabilize at. Is that correct?

What is happening on the opposite wall? Is it exposed to air, water, another wall?

Is your part relatively thin, so it doesn't really much matter what happens on the thin outer edges? Or is it long and skinny and will lose most of the heat through those outer edges?

What kind of heat transfer coefficients do each of the faces have?

The first thing I would do is work out an approximation by hand to see what you expect the long term behavior to be. You may not even need to run a simulation. If you do run a simulation, you will have an expected answer to test against the result to see if you think it is reasonable.

Jerry Steiger

Sean MacLeod

I know quite a bit about both subjects, actually. I'm a senior Mechanical Engineering student but am new to this software. I did hand calculations for a report but would like to include a simulation for it to make it look good. The part is a solid triangle with 11" sides and is 4.5" thick (shown below).

And you are pretty close. I want to apply the heat on one face of the volume (triangular face) and see how fast the solid heats up through to the other face (the opposite triangular face) and see what temperature it will stabilize at.

The HT coeff. for the solid is k=125.6 W/mK and the face I want heated is 1600 K. The ambient temperature ( so the face of the other side) is 400 K.

If I can apply air on the side then the convection coeff. could be 15 W/m2K and flowing at 7.8 m/s. If it is easier to leave this out of the simulation then that would be fine too.

I tried to create a simulation off of a tutorial but it was way different from the simple model I need so it didn't come out quite right.

I have also attached the simulation I attempted

Triangle model.png

Message was edited by: Sean MacLeod

Message was edited by: Sean MacLeod

Bill McEachern

Yo must specify the cold temperature - the heat has to go some where. so apply the convection coeff to all surface other than the 1600k one. Do a transient analysis, pick a time step and a total solution time under study properties. k is pretty good so it shouldn't take long. Its all linear.

Brian Zias

Hi Sean, a few additions to Bill's procedure:

1.  Use the Temperature boundary condition (under Thermal Loads) and set up a Temperature for the 1600 K face, and also a second Temperature BC to represent the initial temperature for the entire body (assuming it starts at 400K, use the selection filter (F5 key) to select the entire body and apply the initial condition).

2.  The convection coefficient should be applied to all other faces and what you'll notice is that you'll need to input a uniform value.  This value can change vs. time, but there's no real way to include the fluid velocity without guestimating the impact on the natural convection coeff.  If you have the Flow Simulation software you can setup an external problem and run this same Simulation but include the forced convection exactly.

thermal.PNG

Here's what I got for a result - you can see after about 10 minutes the temperature on the 'cool' side levels off around 1550 K.