4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2011 1:47 AM by Mikael Martinsson

Static analyze in sequence

Mikael Martinsson

Hello.

Hope that you can help me with this matter.

I need to do a static analyze where loads and restraints are added in sequence. First I have one smaller load and some "on flat surface" restraints. This will cause the part to deform a little bit. After this I add new restraint and new higher loads in new locations to see the final deformation and stress. How can I do this in SW simulation? The real case is on a fixture where clamping and hydraulic supports are added in sequence minimize deformation.

Thank you in advance.

• Re: Static analyze in sequence
          Kevin De Smet

What you describe seems like you need to analyze stress and strain over time, that will require a dynamic analysis. Try your hands at a Linear Dynamic study first and see if it suits your needs.

Jerry Steiger

Mikael,

I'm not familiar with the SW Simulation interface, but I have the impression from reading other threads that it is similar to the ANSYS Workbench interface when it comes to applying loads and restraints. The bad news is that you can't make restraints come and go like you can loads and displacements. So I have had to simulate restraints with added parts with variable loads or displacements. Then you can do a mult-step "static" analysis where you apply some of your simulated restraints, then some others, until you have added them all.

Jerry Steiger

Bill McEachern

To do a multi sequence analysis you need the sim premium product. Restraints can not be "relaxed", though they can be brought back to zero. If relaxation is really required you would have to simulate the restraint with a force which can be brought back to zero and then essentially be removed. Or, as previuosly noted, otherwise reformulate the problem some how.

If the displacements are small and linear assumption is valid then you can do it all at once and get to the same place. If the need for the sequence is driven by fastening then you can use the bolt connectors or shrink fit contact to have the program automatically do the sequence in a linear static analysis.

Mikael Martinsson

Hi all and thank you for your answers.

Unfortunately I don't have the premium product, so the only solution left is to apply all loads and restraints at once. The displacements are small and linear assumption is valid so the results are probably accurate enough.