8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 2:16 AM by Ravi Teja

Hardware or part replacement from folder to EPDM vault

Brad Joseph

Currently i'm trying to plan ahead of a PDM integration. I've posted before regarding combining vaults or using 1 single vault. One of our companies currently uses PDM Enterprise, we do not, but soon will. They use hardware downloaded from McMaster essentially. I spent some time and "stole" the hardware from toolbox, and created the configurations with all the screws we would need, such as #8 Pan Head - Phillips 316. Currently, myself and a couple of engineers here that are using solidworks are using these groups of screws, which we drag from the design library.

I've been trying to test with EPDM, and have added all of these hardware items into the vault. Now if i plan to check in all of our parts an assemblies done with these screws, etc. how can I bring this all into the vault. I want the screws to reference whats in PDM and not whats in our other drive outside of the vault. I know i can pack and go everything and uninclude the hardware, but the assembly still references the parts in the outside drive. I also know i can use solidworks explorer to replace the hardware, one at a time, very time consuming.

Is there another, faster, better way to do this?

I also know i could change the file path, and wait till the vault version asks where the parts are, again time consuming and i would have to up the assemblies to make sure everyone was correct. Is there any easier or better way to do this?

• Re: Hardware or part replacement from folder to EPDM vault
          Greg Rupp

Hi Brad, there are a few ways to do this.

1) Put your toolbox into the vault. This way the vault will automatically relink toolbox parts. I believe you have to make sure to maintain the toolbox folder structure. In the admin tool there is a way to auto update assemblies. I know in EPDM 2011 sp3.1 there is an option to...

toolbox.jpg

2) have all of the toolbox parts checked out on a single computer. Then load the assemblies one by one. I think this will update the references as you check them in because you already have a new (vault version) cached on your computer.

3) ignore all of the references to begin with and bulk check in all the files. Then use the "Update references" tool integrated into the vault. This does require that you configure the vault tool box properly. You will also have to update each file one by one.

I'm new to the vault myself, so I appologies if any of my info is inaccurate.

Hope that helps,

Greg

• Re: Hardware or part replacement from folder to EPDM vault
            Ravi Teja

Hi Brad,

1. Copy All you Part in a Folder inside EPDM       

2.  Open Administration and Goto Setting at the Bottom u'll See "Settings".

3. In external references tab add the folder (added in step 1).Subfolders need to be added seperatly.

Now when you checkin an assembly and if it has any common parts in the Folder you copied in step 1 .references will be taken automatically.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ravi T