7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2006 9:46 AM by

COSMOS Performance

Has anyone had problems running COSMOS using 2 M RAM? Is that enough?

I have a small model of a enclosure with a couple components and it takes so long just to do any operation.

Another question that may go along with my first is I'm running FloWorks and the enclosure has some small holes for exit air. There's ~200 of them so I had to create lids for each one. Is that the problem?

I'm running 2007 on a dell M70 laptop, 2 M ram with the NVIDIA Quattro FX 1400 video card.

Thanks.
        • COSMOS Performance
          Hi Lee, I'm using essentially the same M70 laptop and have no performance issues running COSMOSWorks. Are you trying to run the flow model or the Works model on your laptop? When communicating model size, complexity of the part isn't the best descriptor. If you RMB the mesh item in the analysis manager tree and choose "Details", the UI will tell you how many nodes are in the model you are trying to run. This is the number that primarily controls resource requirements. If you are still having problems, how big is your mesh?

I don't typically run Flow problems but I know plenty of other guys run relatively complex flow models on their 2Gb M70 laptops without a problem. Model size may still be the issue but you might want to run this past your reseller.

-- Vince
          • COSMOS Performance
            Hi Vince,

Thanks for your response.
            FYI. I've only run a handful of FloWorks models so I'm new to this software so excuse me for any simple questions.

The problem is with running Flow model.

I have the mesh running in auto mode set at 3.

Attached is a jpg of the model.

Thanks.

Lee

on 2006 16 07:19 Vince Adams wrote:
            > Hi Lee, I'm using essentially the same M70 laptop and have no performance issues
            > running COSMOSWorks. Are you trying to run the flow model or the Works model on your
            > laptop? When communicating model size, complexity of the part isn't the best
            > descriptor. If you RMB the mesh item in the analysis manager tree and choose
            > "Details", the UI will tell you how many nodes are in the model you are trying to
            > run. This is the number that primarily controls resource requirements. If you are
            > still having problems, how big is your mesh?
            >
            > I don't typically run Flow problems but I know plenty of other guys run relatively
            > complex flow models on their 2Gb M70 laptops without a problem. Model size may still
            > be the issue but you might want to run this past your reseller.
            >
            > -- Vince
            • COSMOS Performance
              No problem.

You might still want to try the lids as combined protrusions. Patterns sometimes can be resource hogs an not seem like it.

Eric
              • COSMOS Performance
                Lee,

If they were all individual protrusions, that might be adding a lot of complexity. It looks like there were several sets of openings, so you could try grouping some of the lids into one feature. I attached a picture of one I did. I just made a protrusion with multiple closed sections. I did a use edge or offset edge to make the sketches. Take a look and see if it might work.

Eric
                • COSMOS Performance
                  Thanks.

I only have 2 feature holes then the rest are patterns so that shouldn't have too much to do with it.

Lee
                  • COSMOS Performance
                    Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out your attachment.

For the lids, I just created extruded bosses to fill in the "holes" on the enclosure. Is there another easier/less memory way to do this?

Thanks.

Lee
                    • COSMOS Performance
                      Hello Lee,

I have run into a few memory issues running Floworks. I am new to the software as well. I am sure some of my problems were related to how I was setting up the analysis, other times the system just hit its limit. I talked with the Cosmos support guys several times and got some helpful information. I attached one document that they sent me for the problem I was having. It has a few helpful tips. Also, you could look up article X031 on the Cosmosm.com knowdlege base for some more informaiton on computer resources.

I did add another 1G to my machine, now at 3G, but I have not had a chance to really test it out. So far, I have not seen much difference. The only other thing that I wonder about is graphics card memory. I don't know a whole lot about them, but my system seems to get slowed down when graphics demands increase. I have a ATI Fire GL (256mb) card. I think yours is 128, so that might be another thing to look at.

How your lids are modeld could also be bogging things down. Could you describe how you made them, or maybe attach a picture.

Good Luck,

Eric