4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 6:11 AM by Gareth Pugh

Ice Breaker Ship Modelling

Gareth Pugh

Good Afternoon,

I am relatively new to Soldiworks and am conducting a study into the potential of using Solidworks to model a ship crashing through ice. I am essentially looking for some experienced users of the software to advise me if this would be possible using the simulation aspects? Ideally I need to model it dynamically; but statically would also be useful.

Any direction or help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

gp11g08

• Re: Ice Breaker Ship Modelling
          Bill McEachern

What exactly are you trying to determine? Propulsive force for the boat? Loads on the hull? Trajectories of the broken ice bits?

Chances are bit slim for any of the above. But maybe not. Depends on how you are looking at the problem.

Gareth Pugh

Thanks for the reply - I am trying to look at loads on the hull of the ship. Do you think this would be possible? I am also investigating using LS DYNA/ANSYS but these seem to be a lot more complicated to use.

Thanks!

Bill McEachern

I am not sure which code would be best for this. I suspect it would have tobe an ALE code of some sort (Arbitrary Lagrangian Eularian) as you would need the water for bouyancy but you might be able to  to have just a Laragian code if say the bouyancy could be handled by a special routine. ABAQUS has an AQUA option but I don't know it it would serve this function for the type of analysis you are considering or not. An explicit code like LS-Dyna would probably take a long time to compute a response for some representative length of ice breaking - like a hull length, you may need even longer times not too sure not having spent a lot of time thinking about it. I did do some work for a proposal once on predicting post buckling strengths of ice breaker hulls. We did a proof of concept model of a section of Russian nuclear ice breaker and successfully reproduced the defromed shape in the picture from the actual event. You might try asking the folks at what use to be called the Institute for Marine Dynamics. I can't remember the new name. It is the National Research Council of Canada's lab in St. John's NFLD. They have an ice breaking tow tank. They probably have representative data but it is likely proprietary. They may have tried approaches and codes to simulate what you are after. Might be worth a call.