7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 5:10 PM by Mark Larson

Power supply and Graphics Card help?

Johnathon Green

Im trying to speed up my system as cheap and effectively as possible.  I just purchased an ATI Radeon 4550 1G Video DDR2 graphics card and a Thermaltake 430W TR2 ATX model# W0070RUC.  Will this be a good setup for running solidworks, autocad, and revit on my desktop, or have i screwed myself? 

My desktop is a compaq presario model # CQ5300Y...I havent touched anything on it...bone stock with original equipment.

I know there is probably better setups out there...just tell me if what i bought will suffice better than what i have now:)

link to my desktop specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01949103&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_us/c01949103/loc:4&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4107320#N1055

• Re: Power supply and Graphics Card help?
          Mark Larson

your computer is at present the bare minimum to run SW, very slow with little memory, installing the video card will only eat up more of memory of which you have none to spare and may not be able to run

bring the power supply and video card back wherever you bought it and exchange for a 1.1 Gigawatt flux capacitor

with that installed, it will be so fast you will think you are time travelling

Johnathon Green

HAHA...ive seen Back to the Future!  and its 1.21 gigawatts!!!....nice try:)

p.s.  hate to say it, but i did search best buys website to make sure they didnt have something called that.:)

the guy i talked to at BB said that the graphics card might take 1 GB to run at first but it quickly tapers off to use a lot less after boot up.  does this sound right?

Anna Wood

SolidWorks is cpu bound.  The video card will not speed SolidWorks up.

Do you have a x64 bit OS system on your computer.  If not you will have issues with a 1 gig video card.  Your video card memory counts against the 4 gig limit of Windows x32 OS's.  You really only have 3.25 gigs to work with in Windows.

Cheers,

Anna

Johnathon Green

thanks anna.  I have x64 windows 7 with 1.75 GB of RAM useable.  do you know if what the BB guy told me is true about the initial GB used at start up for the graphics card in the post above?

Anna Wood

Irrelevant if you are using a x64 bit OS.  You are not limited to the amount of addressable memory you can access.  At least up to 192 gigs of RAM anyways.

Get yourself more RAM.  You should have at least 4 gigs in your system.

Cheers,

Anna

Johnathon Green

okay, so i take it that i will be good with the two editions of the computer for now, but i will need to upgrade my RAM eventually to run more effectively?  The website for the graphics card said that i need atleast 1 GB of memory to run it, does this conflict with what you said?

Mark Larson

your computer has 2Gb of RAM, if you want to use the video card, you better get more RAM now.

UPDATE: the video card will take 1 G of the 1.75 you say you have available (not clear if that is with or without SW running) if that is without SW running, you'll be lucky to fire up SW and even luckier if you can load a file. If that is with SW running, you'll be able to load most files, just not real big ones before paging to disk.

or you can run as is without the video card installed

if it was me, I would have spent more money on a better cpu and more RAM instead of a graphics card

but everyone has their own priorities