11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2011 4:38 PM by Jesse Glassford

STEP Import Fail

Jesse Glassford

I am having a problem importing a .step file generated by another CAD program (WASPnet, an RF program).

The model I am trying to import is composed of 3D surface of a feed and reflector.

When we view the file in a STP Viewer program, all of the surfaces are generated correctly.  However, when I try to import the file in to SolidWorks, it omits the reflector and only generates the feed.

I've attached both a screenshot of the issue as well as the offending .step file.

We are running SW 2010 SP4.0.

If someone has more luck with a newer version of SW could you do me a favour and post a parasolid version?  And let me know what version successfully processed the file; it would be a good excuse to get back on subscription!

Thanks much,

Jesse

• Re: STEP Import Fail
          Scott McFadden

Jesse,

Welcome to the forum.

This is what I got when I imported it into SW2011 SP3.0

model.jpg

I have attached the parasolid file you requested.

Jesse Glassford

Hi Scott,

Unfortunately that's imcomplete.  That's all I get in SW2010 as well.  For some reason it's not generating the reflector surface (see the attached image in the first post; the reflector is the large surface on the right.)

At first I thought it was due to the fact that the reflector is a surface but then all of the other components of the feed (the smaller piece that is generated correctly) are also created as surfaces so I don't think that's it.

Somehow SolidWorks is not recognizing the other surface.

Thanks for trying,

Jesse

Scott McFadden

Hi Jesse,

That is too bad.   Any chance you can convert that surface to a very

thin solid geometry?

When I created the parasolid I did the x_t version.  Which one did you create?

I don't remember, but I know there was another extension.  Just wondering if that

version breeded different results.

Jesse Glassford

We don't have any export options from the program that created the .step file.  But I think it's a problem on the SolidWorks import as a step viewer correctly shows all the surfaces.

It's not creating the parasolid where the issue is; it's in the import process where SolidWorks is failing to correctly generate the model.

Jerry Steiger

Jesse,

I tried fiddling with the import options on SW2010 and was unable to get anything better than you got, but I didn't try every possible combination.

You might want to try importing it into another program, such as Rhino, and exporting as a Parasolid. I believe you can get a trial version of Rhino that will allow a limited number of saves.

Is the reflector just a circular, planar part? If so, it might be easier to get the coordinates of its center, the coordinates of the end point of a normal vector, and the diameter and build it in SW.

Jerry Steiger

Jesse Glassford

It's actually a model of a parabolic reflector; so take a parabola, rotate that to generate a coned surface, and then take a projected circular cut of that surface.

We didn't want to regenerate the surface as we're trying to determine if the other program has created the surface correctly to begin with.

When I get a chance I'll look in to some other programs.

Thanks,

Jesse

Brian Hoerner

This is what I get when importing into PTC Creo, saving out as step and importing into SW2010

Jesse Glassford

Thanks Brian,

This IS what the assembly should look like.

The big question is why Solidworks doesn't import the original file correctly.

Can someone with SW2012 try this and see if it's fixed in that version?

Thanks again,

Jesse

Anna Wood

Jesse,

Probably be a good idea to contact your SolidWorks reseller.  Have them look at the file.  They can get it to SolidWorks to see what the issue is and maybe correct in a future SP.

Cheers,

Anna

Jesse Glassford

I just tried SW2012 and it does not import the model correctly either.

Attached is the error report

Jesse

SolidWorks Corporation - STEP Processor Error Log

______________________________________________________

STEP Post Processor

___________________

STEP File Name: C:\Documents and Settings\SuperS\My Documents\Test\Reflector.step

Surfaces successfully processed into a solid body.

STEP-in completed.

Error: Unable to create solid from trimmed surfaces.

STEP-in did not complete successfully.

Error: Unsupported curve type.

Error: Failed to process trimmed surfaces.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

STEP-in completed.

Jerry Steiger

Jesse,

Having read some of the comments from the people who are doing optics (the name Harold Brunt comes to mind), I would be worried that SolidWorks may not give you a very good check on the qualtiy of the surfaces.

Jerry Steiger

I had Harold's last name wrong. Sorry about that!

Message was edited by: Jerry Steiger