6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2011 10:39 PM by John Johnson

Dimensioning Practices

Don Cheke

I am curious if anyone follows some kind of checklist or procedure that ensures one is not missing the placement of important dimensions on a drawing.

I don't know how many times I have gone back to a drawing to find that I could have / should have included a few more dimensions. Files are almost always sent in a couple of format to those in need so they can check any missing measurement, but it bothers me to send stuff out that is missing such things in the first place.

BTW, I have no formal education as a draftsperson, but I am fully engaged in the practice, and even doing work that engineers were previously doing. No one has yet complained about the drawings I present but I am always looking to better my underdstanding. I did buy the lastest edition of Technical Drawing with Engineering Graphics by Giesecke and all, but it bores me to tears trying to read it - and who has time anyway.

What do you do to ensure well dimensioned drawings?

• Re: Dimensioning Practices
          Scott McFadden

Don,

We are in the midst of implementing design check to do what you are talking about.

This is a tool that can check the very things you are speaking about.

But I typically create my dimensional design intent in my models and import them into

the drawings.  But there is no particular method on starting points.  Hard to do that

because of the different kinds of parts.  Similar parts are done the same way if they

have similar design intents.  Again if you setup the design checker it can go through all of this

to make sure things are done as per whatever standard you setup.

With all of that said we try and follow the guide lines of ASME Y14.5-1999 as much as possible.

Kelvin Lamport

If you are familiar with the machining or fabrication methods to be used, go through each step in your mind and check that each feature has sufficient information for the procedure.

Peter Loring

Don,

I use the a counter clockwise dimensioning path (typically).  Starting at the best part I work my way around the drawing CCW.  My check is can I make a full circle with the dimensions I have listed.  On more complicated parts this needs to be expanded to different views, but you get the idea.

Don Cheke

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it very much.

Scott, I am only running the Standard version so it does not have or cannot use the Design Check you link to.

Scott McFadden

Don,

That is too bad.  It might be worth looking into to see if it is worth

the upgrade.

John Johnson

Don:

I think the Auto Dimension feature will take care of your problem.

Auto Dimension imports into your drawing all of the sketch dimensions you used to define you part.

To use Auto Dimension:

Turn [DimXpert] menu bar on:  Left click along the margins of your drawing interface to open [Command Manager]

Select [DimXpert] icon to add the tool bar to your screen.

Create a new part model with fully defined sketches.  Select [Auto Dimension] icon from the [DimXpert] tool bar.

Select the three reference planes and OK.  You will notice a new tab added to the Design Tree and under the tab you will see a dimension tree with all of your dimensions.  You can edit these and rename them as you desire.

Create a new Drawing and insert the desirer model views.

From the pull down menu, select [Insert], [Model Items]

In the Command Window, select [Entire Model] and click OK to display all of your model's sketch dimensions.

You can move dimensions around on your drawing to suit your needs or delete those that you do not want to show.

Refer to the HELP section for more detailed explanation of the process and other options.

This method works well for simple parts but a drawing will become pretty cluttered for complex models.  I don't use it myself because it takes longer to delete and move dimensions around than it does for me to start from a clean view.

Hope this helps.

Later

John