5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2011 7:03 PM by Harold Brunt

Exporting Assembly file to Zemax

Azlan Mohamed

I need to export an assembly to optical design software Zemax. The assembly consist of two of the same part that I mated together.

When I export it to Zemax (STEP file), it comes as one object, which is correct. Then I define the material for this object.

But once I launch the ray, this object acts like two object mated together, (the ray did not go through the boundary where I mated the two parts in Solidworks, even with the same material).

Anybody know how to export Solidworks assembly file into one object in Zemax? One object here means that the mated face between two parts in Solidwork is ignored by the ray.

Thanks.

• Re: Exporting Assembly file to Zemax
          Harold Brunt

Azlan - It is difficult to gather from your description but my understanding is that the assembly is defined in Zemax as being one material. Is that correct? If so, perhaps you could save the assembly as a part with the external surfaces only selected. Then save that file as your STEP. Otherwise it would seem like a surface definition in Zemax.

Harold

• Re: Exporting Assembly file to Zemax
              Azlan Mohamed

Harold, yes, the assembly defined in Zemax as one material. The assembly is originally consist of two parts (Solidwork assembly file). When importing it into Zemax, it become an assembly of two parts, but with the same material.I define the ray to be inside one of  the two parts and the ray only propagate in that part. It dont penetrate into another part, which is not correct. The ray should travel freely between these parts as they are the same material. Anyway its working correctly now after I follow your advice. Thank you so much!