2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 8:13 AM by Katie Hughes

Automatically Change BOM to CSV-File

Katie Hughes

Is there a way to change a BOM from a *.xml file to a *.csv file in a workflow? I know if you open the explore window, you can click on the Bill of Materials tab and then click ‘Save As’ and then change the ‘Save as type’ to CSV-File.  But is there a way to program the workflow to convert the file type? We would like this to be an automatic process in our workflow so that information can be sent to another computer program we use without having to make the conversion by hand every time. I thought something like the Convert Task would help, but it doesn't give the formats we need. (Something like the convert task tool could be exactly what we need, if it was for the BOM and had an option to change the format to a CSV-File.)

Would a macro or script be able to accomplish this? If there is a way to change the file type, is there a way to direct the file to a certain folder or location? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated… programming and writing macros are definitely not my area. Thanks!

• Re: Automatically Change BOM to CSV-File
          Jeff Sweeney

If your BOM structure is rather simple, an XML BOM table could represented as a comma delimited file. It would take some programming to make it happen though.

• Re: Automatically Change BOM to CSV-File
              Katie Hughes

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking that programming would be the only solution, but I was hoping I was wrong. Unfortunately, our BOM structure is sort of complicated and the program that will eventually be reading the files needs them in a *.csv format, so I don't know if we could represent it as a comma delimited file.

I was trying to record my actions in SolidWorks and then use the macro that it produced. However, when I place the bill of materials table on the part and then click in the upper left corner and save it as a *.csv file, for some reason the file that is saved has all of the information going into their own columns and rows. Any ideas on why it's being saved as a *.csv file, yet it won't actually separate the information with commas? Until I can figure out why it's not separating the information by commas, I am hesitant to use the recorded macro.

Thanks again for all of your time and help, Jeff! I really appreciate it.