17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 9:50 AM by John Stoltzfus

Blue font in title block?

Samuel Polk

Can't seem to change this blue font in my title block.  It's only on one annotation.  It's referencing a custom property, DocumentType, that I have created.  My drawing custom properties template has a button toggling between two values for DocumentType.  Any idea why the font is blue?  Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

Untitled2.jpg

• Re: Blue font in title block?
          Russell Saari

I have seen this before. When you exit edit sheet format does it go back to black?

Kelvin Lamport

The blue colour is to show that it is a note which is linked to a property. Much the same as a hyperlinked email address or website URL in Word, Excel or most other programs.

EDIT: Are you seeing this in the Edit Sheet Format mode or regular drawing sheet mode?  If the latter, try toggling the Color Display Mode option in the Line Format toolbar.

Russell Saari

Kelvin,

That would explain why mine is plue the text is actually linked to the Design Table. Thanks

Scott McFadden

Kelvin,

All of my values in my titleblock are are linked to a property in my model template

and non of them are blue.  They are all black.  Now what you might have hit on is if this

text is linked to something other then a normal property, that might cause it to be blue.

Glenn Schroeder

Scott McFadden wrote:

Kelvin,

All of my values in my titleblock are are linked to a property in my model template

and non of them are blue. 

Scott,

Many of the notes in my titleblock are blue when in edit sheet format mode, and go back to black when I exit it, like Kelvin said.  Mine are linked to properties in the drawing template instead of the model template like yours.  Could that make the difference?

Glenn

Scott McFadden

Glenn,

In my case "No" because I have older drawings that read from the drawing properties and they

are all black.

I at this point can't even say definitely that created properties are all black and system properties

are blue just to throw ideas out.  I have experienced the blue, but like others I can't put my finger on why.

I have even placed the same property on two differnt formats and one is black and the other is blue.

Go figure.  When I create one from scratch with my settings they are always black.  When I modify someone elses

I sometimes get blue which leads me to think this is tied ti some setting or a series of settings.

But like I said before and you concurred that the edit sheet format can have them blue and the edit sheet turns them back to black.

Jeff Holliday

That's what I was thinking too. The kicker is that it only seems to be true in my custom props in the title block area. Our drawing template has a note block just above the title block. The first note has a link to a custome property "Material" in the model. It shows up black. The links in the title block do show blue.

Tiberius Trifu

Try left-clicking "PART" and scroll down to the very bottom of the Note PropertyManager and set Layer to FORMAT instead of -None-. Worked for me.

J. Spud Tomsett

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I was having the same issues with some linked text in my title block showing as blue and others as black. I've noticed at different times that some of the title block lines and/or text has been greyed out and while the rest shows black. I followed Tiberius' suggestion an set the layer to format from -none- and the text turned black.   To my knowledge, no one at my company uses layers, except in AutoCad.   Nevertheless, our company drawing template has several, but they are all set to black.  I then decided to go a step further and set each layer of our drawing template to a different color. I discovered our entire sheet was a mess with regard to layers that items are on. SW Sheet Format Layers.JPG

So the blue text of the part number is on the "-none-" layer and turns changes colors with whatever layer I put it on.  Got that.  But it doesn't necessarily apply to lines.  For instance, the projection view symbol is also on the "-none-" layer but it's grey. The black lines are also on the "-none-" layer but if I set them to the "-none-" layer from the layer selection drop down menu, they turn blue. 

Perhaps not just coincidentally, the layer selection correlates to line/text shadows that appeared to be randomly applied to various text and lines on the final printed version. Sheet format lines on the "FORMAT" layer (green above) are nice crisp lines, while "0," "BDR," or "DEF," layers print with a noticeable shadow.

Solid Works Layer line shadow issue.png

It's nice to see that there's a high correlation with crisp sheet border lines being on the sheet format layer and the shadowed out lines being on other layers because it gives me a reason to suspect there is a layer setting that controls this... but I can't find it.  All of the line styles, weights, and colors are the same...and there is no option for shading.

Any idea where I can control shadowing/ghosting of lines and text by the layers? 

Glenn Schroeder

The only way I know of to override Layer settings is with the Line Format toolbar.  Open yours, if it isn't already, and select one of the entities that's the wrong color.  First check the icon indicated below with the red arrow and make sure it isn't selected.  If it is it will change the colors.  If it isn't selected, then click on the icon indicated with the blue arrow and make sure that "Default" is selected when the dialog box opens.

John Stoltzfus

Layers can be a challenge and there are a few things that I needed to learn as well, now I wouldn't want to be without layers..

1. Make sure you save your drawing or drawing template when the layer shows "Per Standard"
                                  2. When you change layers and the colors stay the same open the line color dialog box and make sure the default box is selected
                                  3. I like color in my drawings and drawing templates, I have them printing black and white.  By coloring the Notes, Dimensions, Drawing Views, Tables and Title Block layout, it is much easier finding things, then if everything is one solid color.
                                  4. SW could use a lot of improvement in the Layer area, sometimes the color settings stay and sometimes you need to keep opening the color dialog box and keep selecting the Default Box.
                                  5. Open a new drawing template and in the document options you can change your dimension, table and annotation layers, however there are a few things you need to do after closing the options window, one is make sure your layer shows "Per Standard", Save the Template and Save out the Drafting Standard.
                                  6. By saving out the Drafting Standard, you can open an older drawing and reload those settings, however you would need to select the dimensions, tables and annotations to add them to the new layers, and again check the color Default Box. 
                                Jamie Lill

Find this icon this will toggle the colors from black to blue or what ever you have set upNoname.jpg