5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2011 4:42 PM by James Imes

Revisions

Rodney Michels

All,

I know there has to be a way to do this.  We are wanting to convert some legacy CAD files that have been ECO'ed many times.  As a result, they have had multiple Revisions.  How can I put a file in the EPDM Vault and get it a Revision of something other than the first rev in EPDM. 

Meaning, Drawing A has a current revision of "C" and it exists in AutoCAD.  We want to convert to SolidWorks, so we ECO this drawing and create the new files in SolidWorks.  How can I Release this drawing in Enterprise with a "D" revision without having to cycle through four times to get the correct Rev.

Hope this makes sense.

Rodney

• Re: Revisions
          Jeremy Feist

the way we did it was we had a special workflow that was only on during the migration of files into the vault. this work flow read the rev from the file and set the "system rev" to match and then pushed it into the "real" workflow we had set up. then we turned off this workflow.

Rodney Michels

So it sounds to me like I will have to write some code to make this work.  I find it very funny that SolidWorks would not have something out of the box for this.  I guess they think all the companies in the world never ECO'ed anything until EPDM.

Jeremy Feist

I was told that a lot of "project based" companies would just put new projects in the vault, all of the old ones were left out.

I didn't get to be involved with setting up the migration workflow, but I think it could be done without programming, but it would be an involved workflow without it.

Wayne Matus

No code required. You setup an automatic transition in the Migration workflow from the initial state to the next state for each possible revision you will import. You setup conditions for each of these transitions for the revision variable. Change the revision  counter to reset to the appropriate number.

Bump Revision.png

James Imes

Hi Rodney,  we have similar need & made a WorkFlow & Group that allows an increment of the rev.  All of our ACAD / Desktop was migrated in & exist as files w/ a given rev in PDM.  We need to rev & SolidWorks is our std now for about 4 years so frequently we need a "first article" SolidWorks as a rev later than A to keep historical lineage of the part number..

The model, directly after convert or creation, has it's Custom Properties set for target rev, drawing is generated to reflect the same targeted rev,  they are both checked in & then we use a process that is setup in the WorkFlow called "Bypass Release for Rev Increment" this is part of the fly-out menu on a r-clk & only available in that WorkFlow & those that are members of the group with the privilege.

The increment function is used to get the History, DataCard & Drawing rev in unison by incrementing a few times to advance from rev A forward to target rev.

I'm not at the Admin level so I don't know the specifics about the WorkFlow setup & Group priveleges, or how these were achieved, but your VAR & Admin folks should be able to help figure it out.  Attached is a small tutorial we made for the process.