12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2011 12:56 PM by Bernie Daraz

Linking a property to a specific view in drawing

Mike Dunn

I have an assembly built from 3 different parts. I made a drawing of the assembly. In that drawing there is one view (ISO) that is of the assembly. the other views in the drawing are views of the parts, not the whole assembly. I would like to just have a view of the assembly for reference but detail the components on the same drawing since they are all really simple pieces. My problem is linking the mass property to display the assembly weight. I linked to the mass but the link is pointing to one of the components, not the whole assembly. If i make another drwaing with only an assembly view the weight is correct. My qiestion is how can I point that mass property link to the assembly not the part? Is there a way to switch that? Thanks.

• Re: Linking a property to a specific view in drawing
          John Stoltzfus

Good morning Mike,

I would make a new custom property and call it assembly weight or something like that, then link that property to the mass properties in the assembly.  Insert the new custom property where you want it in the drawing,

Later,

John

Mike Dunn

I have the weight property in the assembly model and the weight displayed there is correct. In my drawing I have only one view of the actual assembly. I have views in the same drawing of the individual parts for the assembly and those are detailed. I want the title block to show the assembly weight but when I try to link I see the weight option but the number is coming from one of the component part files not the assembly file. I think what the peoble is is that there are more than one files used in the drawing, the assembly file and then three part files that are the components of the assembly. I don't know how SW determines which one of those files the drawing is linking to or if I can change that. Hope that makes sense.

John Stoltzfus

Good morning Mike,

As I mentioned create a "New" Weight Custom Property, call it - $PRP:"AssemblyWeight"  than in the drawing add a note - $PRPSHEET:"AssemblyWeight"

Then in the assembly file add the AssemblyWeight property and link that to the document mass properties.

Later,

John

Scott McFadden

Mike,

You are correct!!!  This is one of the issues you run into when one tries to cram too many

parts/assemblies into one file.

You are best to create separate files.  Then you can have specific properties to specific files.

Much cleaner this way.

Mike Dunn

I see the problem with that. This is a really simple assembly, 3 very simple parts so having drawings of each and an assembly drawing just seems like over kill and more work frankly. My problem stems from the fact that when you make a drawing and insert a model view the drawing is then linked to that model for all the SW properties. When I insert the assembly view first I get the correct assembly weight but if I insert the model view of one of the components first I only get the weight of that component. There doesn't seem to be a way to change that. I'm looking at the custom property fix John suggested but I haven't worked with creating custom properties. It would be nice in a drawing to link to a property in the model of your choice if you happen to have two different model in one drawing. Thanks for the help.

John Stoltzfus

Good afternoon Mike,

The way I do it here is;

When I start a drawing for an assembly I make one of two choices and it is based on assembly/subassembly size, either a D size print or A size (no we don't have B size printer ),

D size selection normally has (2) drawings one for the standard views that the shop needs to make and put together and the other page is the exploded view with the BOM.

A size selection is the same, except I add the part file pages to this drawing file and there are assembly files that have up to 75 pages.

While the above may seem like a lot of work and a lot of paper, it's not and it is straight forward and it matches a wide selection of assemblies that I have put together in the last few years.  Your focal point is the same in every page and that is the guys look at that drawing page and all the info is right there, not somewhere else on a large drawing.

Your still loading the assembly and your still loading the part, so why clutter up a big drawing when you can make a simple A size drawing pack. 

Once I complete all of my custom property inputs I drop those assemblies/components into the drawing, pick another page and repeat till I am done.  This doesn't take any more action, (other than adding a sheet) then it would to put all of your work in one drawing. 

Adding a custom property is easy, however I think I would do what Jeff mentioned, seems to be more what you want, because you can link it to a custom property.

This all revolves around are you stuck in the way you have to do it or can you simplify it,

Have fun,

Later,

John

Jeff Holliday

A safe way is to select the view and lock the view focus for it. Then create a note - see attachment 1.

Then create your note with the weight property linked only to the model in the view to which it attached.

Bernie Daraz

This reply may be late to the game but there is one more way, assuming each of your parts has it's own weight entered as a custom property. You can have a calculated value (in the BOM ) appear as one of your custom properties. Simply reference and add the customer property 'weight' of each of your parts to arrive at the total.