11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2011 8:01 AM by John Stoltzfus

Looking for the best way to do something

Seth Renigar

I have an assembly containing lots of screws/bolts, and a drawing of the assembly containing a BOM.  On the drawing, I need to specify the torque of each of these fasteners.

I could just place notes all over the place specifying the torque of these fasteners.  But the drawing gets very busy in a hurry.  So, what I decided to do was to simply add a column to the BOM and manually put the torque spec. for each of the fasteners in this column.  The problem I have run into with this (and it may very well be a bug) is that any time I make any changes to the assembly, such as resorting / adding / removing parts, everything I typed into my new column disappears.

So, I was thinking.  I wonder if there is any way at the assembly level to add some type of comment or specification to parts that I can link to from a BOM column (kind of like a custom property at the part level).  These are not specifications that needs to be an actual custom property of the part document since they are specifications at the assembly level only.

I found a possible way.  But I'm not sure this is a good solution or not.  I found that by adding these torque specifications to the "Component Reference" from the Component Properties dialog at the Assembly level, I could then link to this from a new column in the BOM.  I've never used this "Component Reference".  And I'm not really sure if this is it's intended use or not.  The help file isn't really clear on this.

Does anybody else have any experience using "Component Reference" for something like this?  Is this the intended use for "Component Reference"?  Is there a way to add "Component Reference" data to more than one part at a time (only drawback I've seen so far)?

Or, is there a better way of doing this that I'm completely overlooking?

Thank you

• Re: Looking for the best way to do something
          Scott McFadden

Seth,

I have the same issue, except that I have to put the torque specs all over the drawing.

I love the concept of adding them to the BOM table.

What I would do (and this is a lot of grandfathering work) is add a property to the parts

that specifies the torque and in the BOM add the column pointing to that custom property.

Alin Vargatu

Scott, what if different instances of the same part have different torques?

Creating different configurations for different torques in the same part is too messy.

Seth Renigar

Scott,

I really want to stay away from adding this spec. at the part level since these fasteners get used in multiple assemblies, with potentially different torque specs. per assembly.  The torque spec. needs to be added at the assembly level.

So far, doing this using the "Component Reference" as I mentioned seems to be working.  But since I don't know if this is its intended use or not, I'm affraid there could potentially be large drawbacks later down the road.  I'm hoping someone understands the use of "Component Reference" well enough to let me know.

John Stoltzfus

Good morning Seth,

The question I would have is:

The items that are needed in the assembly, let's say Bolt #1, do you have different torque values per instance or are the torque ratings based on the assembly.

If you insert 20 pcs Bolt # 1 & 30 pcs of Bolt # 2 are the torque rates the same.

I guess a simpler question would be torque rating - Per instance or Per part number??

If you have different torque ratings per instance then that would be a big challenge, if its per part then I would add a configuration with a custom property value attached to it.

This would be more difficult if you use the toolbox hardware.  I have stopped using the standard toolbox years ago and I have my own hardware files and with my library it would be really easy to list it in the BOM.

Later,

John

Seth Renigar

John,

Sorry for just now getting back to you on this.  Had to go home sick the other day just after posting.

In this particular case, the torque value will be the same per part number.

However, from what I'm seeing, doing the method I described with the "component reference" will in-fact create multiple levels on the BOM for the same part number that has different torque values.  That's why I am thinking that I'm using "component reference" for its intended use.  It sure does seem to work that way anyway.

John Stoltzfus

Good morning Seth,

I was out yesterday, so here we are.

I must be as dumb as a bat, but I can't quite see into the component reference, you don't need to take the time to explain.....

I was thinking though that your BOM layout would be different than what we use here.  If this information would be important for me I would have added a custom property to the part and used that info in another column in the BOM.....

Later,

John

Scott McFadden

Alin,

In my application these components get torqued the same

no matter what assembly application they are used in.  Generally these components when you look

at the specs for them the manufacturers have torque ratings and these values aren't variable.

To be honest I am not sure what components have different torque ratings.  Not saying there aren't

any but in the industries I have been in they all have the same.

What is your suggestion for this issue?

Seth,

I didn't think you would buy into my suggestion because like I said it would be a lot of work.

Jim Sculley

In reading the SW Help, it looks like you are using component references in a manner that is true to their intent.  They are a way to differentiate otherwise unique parts, and allow you to have them as separate line items on the bill.

Jim S.

Tony Cantrell

What about using a hole table and adding a column for the torque.