2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2013 1:59 PM by Christopher McKenzie

Creating template in Flow Simulation bug?

Seck Houng Lim

Hi,

I'm currently using Solidworks 2011 SP05 education version.

I'm trying out the flow simulation tutorial : Cylindrical drag coefficient, but unable to create a template of the project by following the steps in the tutorial. I can open the "Create template" dialog box, type in the name of the template, but every time I clicked "save", I don't see the template being created.

It seems to be  straight forward and easy to create a project template in Flow Simulation. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

• Re: Creating template in Flow Simulation bug?
          Justin Hinshelwood

Hi,

Did you find a solution for this?

I am using 2011 SP05 and I notice the same problem. I wondered if it is a bug in this version.

Regards,

Justin

• Re: Creating template in Flow Simulation bug?
            Christopher McKenzie

This ia a Windows 7 compatability issue.  Windows 7 does not allow modification of a system folder.  The Templates directory is inside the program folder and is trying save a template there.  There is no way with this version of FlowSimulation to modifiy the template folder locoation.  To fix this problem you have to run SolidWorks as an administrator.  Go to C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp in window explorer and right click the SolidWorks.exe file and select properties.  At the bottom of the 'Compatability' Tab is a check-box for 'Run as Administrator'.  Check that box.  Create a new short-cut for the desk-top and then update any quick launch icons with this now short-cut.  When you start SolidWorks with this short-cut it will bring up a dialog box.  Select yes.  You are now running SW as admin and you can now save templates.