6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2012 3:08 PM by Justin Strempke

Bonding Beams

Ronan Carrroll

How do I bond/join 2 beams sitting one ontop of the other. they are different lengths.

Sample model and jpgs attached. Running SW2010 sp5

• Re: Bonding Beams
          Sander Buys

The only thing I can tink of is creating an additional weldment profile, containing the geometry of both profiles. Create a sketch with three segments, and create 2 structural member features:

- 1 for the two end profiles

- 1 for the segment containing the profile representing both beams.

Use "locate profile" to position the penetration point correctly. Like that the mathematical model should be right...

Ronan Carrroll

That sounds like a good solution. Not able to test it right now. Can you expand on "local profile" as I don't remember seeing that mentioned before but will check up on it tomorrow.

Sander Buys

I meant "locate profile" of course.. You familiar with that ?

Ronan Carrroll

No can you explain that please or direct me where to fine it. I checked the help and havent fount it yet.

Justin Strempke

This is what I've had to do in the past.  I'll have two box beams welded together, so I'll create a 2D cross-sectional profile, them made a weldment using that profile (or just and extrustion), then treat it as a beam in SWSim.  It's better to do the weldment with 'Locate Profile', as you can choose where in the cross-section the joint is located.  The buttom is at the bottom of the options when creating a weldment, and has you choose a point on the sketch to locate the joint when connecting two beams.  In your case, I would think you can just chop the model into three sections as extrusions that aren't merged - the two ends and the middle.  Then when in FEA choose 'Treat at beams', and it will create joints for you, connecting the NA's by rigid links.

Keith Frankie

I sure would be a lot easier if we could bond beams together.  Splitting beams into segments, creating a new weldment structure custom for the analysis, and then creating odd beam profiles takes a ton more time.

Here is an example of the issue - during loading of the three beams that are next to each other one would push into the other.  The simulation is totally useless without factoring in the beam to beam contact.

Beam Not Bonded.png