13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 3:09 AM by Attila Peto

Probe Results on selected surface won't display values

Gordon Kistler

We are running SW Premium 2010 SP4.  When we display a results plot for a simulation, select "Probe Result" and then select "On selected entities" we can then click on a model face and then click "Update".  Sometimes we get a list of the values for that surface and other times the box is just remains blank and the "Update" box turns gray.  Anyone run into this or have an explanation for why this happens?

• Re: Probe Results on selected surface won't display values
          Ryan Werner

Hi Gordon,

I can't say I have ever noticed that and I am still running 2010, though I am on SP5.  Does it do that same thing when you use "List Selected"?  It is the same thing but a different button in Simulation.  Could you provide a screen shot or something to kind of help illustrate this?

Ryan W.

Attila Peto

I experienced the same.

A hybrid model was built from surface and solid bodies of a SW assembly. One specific part contained 2 solid bodies, while another ones had several surface bodies. Shell elements were created from the surface bodies automatically and not from the solids by defining at selected faces of solid bodies.

In case of shell elements there was no problem. I could list result on any surface or edge.

In case of solid bodies I could not list result on any surface if:

-       it belonged to a multi body part and the surface belonged to not the first body

-       it belonged to a multi body part and the surface was in connection with another surface of not the first body of the same part

I know it sounds craze but it is true.

Solution.

In case of surface bodies, there is nothing to do. It works always.

In case of solid bodies you are to avoid using multi body parts. After I cloned the original part and left only one body for each part I was able to list result on any surface.

Nick Christensen

I'm having the same problem. About 50% of the time I have one surface in my model that will not update when using list selected. I can probe all over it with no problem. Very frustrating when the simulations are having to solve over night.

Did anyone come up with a solution to this or a way to avoid it?

Jarad how do you post using the Advanced editior option?

Cheers

Jared Conway

the advanced editor is in the top right hand corner when you're posting.

your problem sounds workflow or file or study specific. if you can post, we can probably provide more information. otherwise i'd talk to your reseller about it. for starters, i'd double check how many models this is happening to and if you reduce the mesh..etc if there are any changes. remember that probe goes to the nearest node, list selected has to work on the surface. if your mesh is coarse and that surface doesn't actually exist from a mesh perspective, you probably will have trouble using list selected on it.

at minimum, post some screenshots of what you're seeing.

Bill McEachern

I am having similar problems on occaissions. Recently n SWX 2013 sp3 I had a model where it all worked fine. I then made a couple more studies and then had to go back to the earlier one. On certain surfaces no data would display. However, en edge adjacent to the surface I was trying to selec worked fine. Other surfaces in the model worked fine as well. Just the ones I was actually interested in would not work. I just lived without it.

Chris Pellegrino

I am having this problem as well. It will work on some faces, not others. I can probe a point and get results there, but not overall results for a face, and of course it's the face I need results on. It is not a multibody part, and it was not made with separate bodies combined into one at any point either. There are also no surface bodies. This is beyond frustrating. I cannot share the file due to confidentiality agreements.