12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2012 1:46 PM by Katie Hughes

Workflow Revisions

Katie Hughes

Is there a way to get a revision counter to add to an existing rev? We have two parts going through the same workflow with a numeric rev control; one that has zero revisions and one that has three revisions.  Can they go through the same workflow and have the rev counter bump them up to one and four, respectively? The rev counter we have setup now seems to be doing what we want when our parts start at no revs. However, when our parts start out with previous revs and go through the workflow, the old revs are overwritten and the counter starts back at one. Is there a way to add one to a rev no matter if it starts at zero or three (or any number for that matter)?

• Re: Workflow Revisions
          Corey Hinman

Yes. Make sure that your workflows are set up correctly. When files with existing revs are coming into this workflow, what does the state look like? Are you resetting the counter, or incrementing by 1?state.JPG

Ravi Teja

Hi Katie,

This can be achieved by having different transitions for different rev number.Transition condition will allow files according to their rev numbers and bump it accordingly.

Make a transition for rev =%;rev=2;rev=3 so on with conditions as variable = rev = 1;=2;=3 respectively.

now make every transition to bump rev by its own number. like a file going through reansition will get its rev bumped by 2 etc..

Regards

Ravi T

Ravi Teja

Hi Katie,

I cant see any other way out, to match SOLIDWORKS and EPDM Revs.EPDM revs are written into database and to increment revs it takes the last value (for the file rev) from these database table.

I have done a similar thing in a Bulk migration Process.

I do not recommend the user to use it.but the type of workflow i mentioned can be used by ADMIN to correct all the data in one go.

After that users will have only transition to choose from."More options u give to users.more chances of messups".

I see if i can give you a detailed doc.

Regards

Ravi T

Katie Hughes

Ravi,

I guess if you had a detailed doc you wouldn’t mind sharing, that would help.  I’m still a little hesitant on having the all of the different transitions because as much as we would love to only have Admin correcting the data, it’s just not that feasible.  Although I do think that what you were saying is correct – more options, more chances for mess-ups. Do you think you have an extra detail doc?

Thanks for all of your responses!!

Katie Hughes

Thanks, Corey and Ravi for your responses!

Corey,

Our state with the revisions looks like the one you have posted (with different names, of course).  I'm new to using this program, so I think I'm incrementing by 1.  How would I tell if I'm actually resetting the counter, instead of incrementing by 1? Is it something I could have messed up when setting up the revision number components or the revisions under the revisions tab in the tree? Or is the resetting at the transition/state level?

Ravi,

Do you think that having different transitions is the only way to do this? I'm not sure if having differnt transitions would work in this case because these workflows are going out to many different groups in our company (production floor, sales, marketing, etc.). Having the different transitions might be a bit confusing for those who don't use the program on a regular basis. If this is the only way, then it's what we'll have to do, but I'm not sure that it's our ideal option. I'll definitely give it a try to see if this could work for us.

Thank you both so much for your help with this! It is greatly appreciated!

Corey Hinman

Can you post a picture of your workflow, and the transition where you are bumping the rev?

Katie Hughes

Here's a picture showing the whole workflow and the state and transition where we have things set.

RevSetup-WF-1.JPG

Let me know if this is too difficult to read and I'll find another way to display it.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Corey Hinman

Typically you wouldn't inc revision on the "initial" state (at the top). A lot of companies will add a "+" to the revision as it goes top to bottom, the last transition before the state at the bottom is where you would then increment revision within the transition, and then in the state as well.

When you go back to the top, (make a new revision), you would add the "+" to the current rev, once it makes it's way back down to the bottom it bumps to the new level.add plus.JPG

Katie Hughes

Corey,

I know it’s not typical to have the revisions on the first state, but right now, it seems to be working just fine.  The workflow is going to a lot of different sections of our company, so everyone involved with this specific part needs to at least be notified and be able to see if someone has made a change. But like you mentioned, it might be better to have the rev not attached to the initial state.

Did you set up anything else when making the transition action (like a variable or something)?  Ours is set up very similarly to the one you show, without the “+”.  It seems like all that would do is at a “+” to the revs, but like I’ve mentioned before, I’m new to using this program, so I’ll give it a try.

Thanks Corey for all of your time and help!!

Ravi Teja

Hi Katie,

I am still to start working on doc.See the followinf link which might help.The only draw back i see in  your sytem is that Few revs hav been corrected and few are yet to be done.

This link might speed up your process

Regards

Ravi T

Katie Hughes

Our support rep had an app for this... I guess we're not the only ones who have come across this problem.  The app is not "out of the box" and requires a bit of programming.  I'm not exactly sure what went into the app, but once we got it into the Add-in section of our vault, our problem was solved.  Thank goodness for people who program and know computer languages!