16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2011 3:18 PM by Nick Dunham

Force Save to Disk

Nick Dunham

Is there a way to force SW to save to disk? It often seems to save to RAM, and then when it crashes, my saved changes are lost.

I'll save every few minutes, but when SW crashes, I lose several hours of changes.

I'm currently using 2012, but also had this issue with 2011.

Thanks

• Re: Force Save to Disk
          Jeff Holliday

In tools/options there is a choice for backup/recovery. In here you will find settings that will control how often a backup is created and where it saves.

Nick Dunham

I thought that backups were separate from saving. Is this incorrect? For example, backups are titled "Backup of <file name>." What I'd really like is a way to save to the actual file, if there is one.

Take, for instance, MS Word - when you save tgo file, it is written to disk; when it does crash, the last saved changes are there.

Glenn Schroeder

Nick,

Hello and welcome to the forum.  I believe you're right and backups are for when SW crashes and you haven't saved.  I don't understand why you lose saved changes when SW crashes.  After a crash (or any other time) you should be able to open the file from wherever you saved it to (My Documents or a network drive or whatever) and it should reflect the latest save.

Wayne Matus

On that backup tab you do have a "Save Notification" option where it will prompt the user if they want to save if they have not in the last xx minutes..

Also the autorecovery option is like what you are talking about in MS Word.

Wayne Tiffany

Your question/logic doesn't make sense to me.  When you do a Ctrl-S to save, it writes to disk, not RAM.  So my best guess is that if you crash, you are then taking advantage of the recovery that it presents you with and opening that file instead of the one you just saved a few minutes ago.  Next time try just ignoring the recoverd file and just open the original directly.

WT

Nick Dunham

That's how it would seem to me. However, I've actually turned off autorecover because it_just_doesn't_work. I am definietely not using autorecover. When I save the file, the modified asterisk goes away; however, performance monitor doesn't show any disk activity. Then, when I open the file, many changes are gone.

The closest I can figure out is that it's buffering saves, and only writes them occasionally (for example, when I close the file). When SW crashes, however, I have nochance to close, and the bufferred saves are lost.

Kelvin Lamport

I've just run a quick test of creating a part, modifying it with several features, saving after each feature, and force-crashing SW after each save. The features survived the crash every time.

Are you editing a part on it's own, or from within an assy?

Anna Wood

Are you using Virtual Parts in your assembly?

Cheers,

Anna

Nick Dunham

Actually what I'm doign is repalcing parts in an assembly. We're transitioning to a new revision management system, and have a new naming system. As a result, I'm replacing a lot of old files with new ones. After it crashes, I'm back to the original files.

And no, I'm not using virtual components.

By the way, thanks everyone for your input.

Kelvin Lamport

How are you replacing the files? ... Replace Component, or Save as, or Pack & Go, or File > Open > References, or ???

What are you doing when SW crashes?

Nick Dunham

Usually File>Replace, sometimes RMB>Replace Component.

When it crashes, typically either replacing another component, moving a component, or trying to save.

Kelvin Lamport

Why are you replacing parts if it's only a name change? Why not use SW Explorer to rename?

If you crash while replacing a component or during a save, it is unlikely the parts will have been saved correctly.

After a crash, do previously saved parts revert to the original file or the original file name? Do you check the actual file references?

Do you have the Tools > Optioons > System Options > External References > Update component names when documents are replaced option selected?

Nick Dunham

Well the files sometimes have additional configurations, and always have additional data stored in the properties; the other parts are in another directory, and sometimes have had additional changes made.

And yes, I am losing previously saved changes. Also, I have the update component name option selected.

Jerry Steiger

Nick,

I am of the Kelvin/Wayne T. school and find it very hard to believe that what you describe actually takes place. But one of my colleagues swears that he has seen files disappear when SW crashed. Because he was having a lot of trouble with crashes at one time, he had SW running on part of the screen and had Windows File Explorer open on the other side of the screen. When the part he was working on happened to crash, he was looking directly at the file in Explorer and saw it wink out of existence. I have no idea how this could happen, and don't know if it has any relevance to your problems, but mention it just to remind us all of just how bizarre life (and SW) can be at times.

Jerry Steiger

Brian McEwen

Something is obviously screwy, as Steiger pointed out.  Are you saving to a network drive?  The details of this subject are beyond my pay grade, but I do know networks can have their own settings and slow things down.  Check with IT if you have one, or your VAR.  

I occasionally use Pack and Go (to a zip file usually) for a reliable back up of whole assemblies, or of parts. 

This might warrant a bug report, aka SPR. 

Nick Dunham

Actually, I'm saving to an SSD in my computer. I do kind of wonder if some of the functions on the SSD can lose data (ie, if it buffers writes to keep from wasting write cycles and killing the disk).

I have to agree, some thing are just bizarre, and the most annoying part is whether it can't be duplicated - some of these things happen one or two days, then go away, and nobody else ever sees it.

The good news is that I haven't seen it for a few days - SW didn't crash at all yesterday (vs ~7 times the other day...). As a result, I seem to be keeping all my changes.

Edit: I just disabled write caching on my SSD. We'll see if that fixes the problem next time SW crashes.