2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 2:26 PM by Anthony Botting

"List Beam Forces" results

Douglas Johnson

I am doing a frame and have been very glad in general for the beam simulation funtionality. One thing I would like to do is use the results for detailed analysis. In other words I want to take the loads transfered through an individual beam and apply them to a small detailed model of that beam. There are two things that are getting in my way as I try to do this. First the "Shear 1" and "Shear 2" forces seem to be applied to arbitrary planes with no relationship to the orientation of the loads applied to the beam. This is a little frustrating because I am always questioning weither "Shear 1" is in the X or Y direction when I am doing analysis, is there some sor of documentation from SW explaining the this "feature"?

Second, because I have to apply these loads to other models I like to take a snapshot of the loads in each beam with the "list beam forces tool". This also helps my elderly brethern which a are distrustful of solidworks flashiness and ease of use to be reasured by results more like they would see from NASTRAN or ANSYS. The problem here is that of translation, it's hard to know what is going on with particular elements. Axial force for instance can be listed as negative on one end "Compression?" and positive on the other end "Tension?". So how is the beam loaded tension or compression? Anyone ever dealt with this before?Picture1.png

-Doug

• Re: "List Beam Forces" results
          Ryan Werner

Hi Doug,

I have had similar problems myself.  I am not sure what version of SW you are running but I know in 2010 the results reporting for the Shear stress had a bug and would show stresses of zero depending on what plane your force was applied in.  I reported it to my VAR and SW created SPR 571336 for it but I hae never heard back about it getting corrected. 

As far as the axial forces go it does depend on what axial direction for the beam Simualtion has used as default.  It is kind of confusing but I have attached the document my VAR sent to me to explain it.  Hope it helps.

Ryan W.

• Re: "List Beam Forces" results
            Anthony Botting

Hi Douglas: We did this little video on Beam Shear and Moment diagrams that helps explain a little about the directions (in case you did not see it, it's on GoEngineer's YouTube channel):

http://youtu.be/hLyIO0qXGTY

Sincerely,

Tony B.