7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2011 4:11 PM by Kris Carlson

Sketch relations

Kris Carlson

Hi,

I want to lock two sketches together so when I extrude either one the other one travels with it. I need to extrude in two dimensions and I want the two sketches to stay together in the middle while the extrusion lengths can vary in either dimension. I get an over-defined sketch when I try to do this. So specifically in the model I want to extrude the Ambient Medium but keep the Dura Cut sketch locked to the Ambient medium so I can then extrude the Dura Cut the same dimension up and down.

Can anyone see how to achieve this?

I'm using SW Student Edition 2010-2011 so if you modify & save can you save so I can open it.

Thanks,

Kris

• Re: Sketch relations
          Alan Stoldt

The zip doesn't contain all the assemblies/model to open it.

Seeing a preview while open your file, let me ask you this: Is this somethign that you could do in one skecth, then extured profile from this sketch, or do Derived Sketches from?

Just a couple of tools that you may be able to use. Good luck.

Alan

Ryan Werner

Is this what you were wanting?  Sorry if it is not.

Ryan W.

Kris Carlson

Indeed it is what I intended--how did you lock them together?

Alan's techniques sound like a better way to go from the get-go :-) --you fixed what I did out of my ignorance. Thanks.

Kris

Ryan Werner

Actually, I am not sure why I did not just extrude to surface myself.  You do not need to do anything differently you just need to select that option instead of extruding blind. 

The first time I just made an equation that made one dimension for the length of your extrude the same of the other.  Extruding to the surface is definitely a better way to go and I can't believe I didn't do it the first time.  Thanks Mark for bringing me back to my senses.

Ryan W.

Mark Kaiser

Sounds like you need to extrude up to a surface, with the surface being stepped.  Think extrude the surface as a stair profile.  Attached an example.  If you can't open the example, let me know, and I'll post a picture.

Kris Carlson

It opened fine--thank you. Altho that isn't what I need extruding to a surface is a good technique to know that I hadn't used. Either of Alan's are the way I should do this--simpler probably to just make and extrude one sketch--simple is good--but now that I know what a Derived Sketch is I see how to use that elsewhere.

Kris Carlson

For my particular need combining the two sketches in one worked perfectly and Extrude knew the center ellipse was a cut so did the extrude and cut at once. I tried the derived sketch method, too, but could not get it to Convert Entities for some reason.

This one did not need stepping--actually a host of parts have to have the same dimensions so when I alter them the mates all stay. So next on my plate is trying the global equation-driven dimensioning that Ryan's comment suggests.

Thanks to all.

Kris