AnsweredAssumed Answered

Possible upgrades for 2+ year old T5400

Question asked by jesse helms on Nov 1, 2011
Latest reply on Nov 2, 2011 by Casper De Boer

We just had a engineering group meeting and started to discuss budgets and where to allocate some of the budget. The topic of computers came up as we do have some older computer with in the company that are in need of replacement. In our engineering and CAD department, most of the computers we have are anywhere from 2-4 years old and they are all dell workstations (T5400 & T5500).

The company doesnt necessarily want to get new computers for the engineering dept but would rather look to see if there is anything we can just upgrade to get better performance at a lower cost to replacing the whole system. So, I was hoping that I could gets some good opinions and a little knowledge to feed back to the higher ups. Im no dope when it comes to computer hardware but I know there are people on here that have far more technical know how, especially related to SolidWorks, and would greatly appreciate some feedback.

Also, just a little backgound of what we do. We desing full motion flight simulators for government/military training. We work with large assemblies (5000+ at times) and we do some surfacing but not a lot. We also do some FEA analysis with our SW Pro seats but we do little rendering in our day to day activities.

Any advice on possible upgrades along with the performance benifits of said upgrades is again, much appreciated.

Here is what I am currently working with, which is relatively the same throughout the department:

Dell T5400 (2+ years old)

Intel Xeon X5460 @ 3.16GHz (CPU)

8.00 GB RAM

nVidia Quadro FX 3700

Hard Drive- 120 gig SATA

Windows XP-64 bit

SolidWorks 2010 SP 3.0

Thanks to all,

Jesse

Outcomes