9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2011 12:45 AM by Faur Arama

Rename file

Faur Arama

Witch is the best method to rename a file in PDM to preserve relations between files.

• Re: Rename file
          Jeremy Feist

right click and rename in the "windows explorer" view. all of the references for files in the vault will be maintained. if you have files outside of the vault referencing the file, you will need to deal withthem manually.

Russell Saari

Faur,

Jeremy is right just right-click the file and then rename. then good thing about it is that it is the name changes are tracked in history also so if later you need to know the original just click the file and select Display>History. (as Shown Below)

rename.JPG

Faur Arama

Thanks everybody for your answers. I ask that because from some time we experienced a strange behavior in pdm. We also use the same method but now when I rename a file nothing is happened no message and the file name is unchanged. When it works for a short period of time in file list there are both file then the old file disappear. There also strange behavior on delete files but for that I shall start a new discussion. If someone encountered same issue maybe give me some advices.

Einar Gulbrandsen

remember if u rename while other user have it in an open model but not checked out, they will get at local copy of the file. This (<local file>)file will normally be removed by the system.

Folders will appear gray when the system havent been able to delete them automatic.

Ravi Teja

Hi Faur,

In EPDM o,nce the Assembly is Checked-in for the first time,All the references are recognized.and from then you can move the files without worrying about loosing references in solidworks. 

i  would suggest you set the usetting to "Always works with latest version of files".

A similar problem is faced by someother user as well ...hope it has nothing to do with EPDM's latest version..:D

Regards

Ravi T

Faur Arama

Hi Ravi,

Yes, we use latest version. I think that the problem is a bit more complicated. We also encountered another error. We use "unique file name" feature for sw files. There some files that are deleted (not destroyed) and when user create a file with the same name and try to checkin, he can't because system tells that file name is not unique. I destroy the file and we received the same message. I think that both odd behavior are related because both imply a "delete" operation. I'm afraid for that are some errors in SQL tables .

Ravi Teja

Hi Faur,

For filename not unique thing ,did u query SQL table for checking?.May be its deleted from other location.

generate a report for deleted files in SQL for cross checking.

Regards

Ravi T

Michael Dekoning

Faur,

When a user deletes a file it can be recovered by right click folder, choose properties and go to the "Deleted Items" tab. When a file is destroyed it can no longer be recovered. I seem to recall reading about a "cleaner" function that runs every so often to remove entries from the SQL table for destroyed documents. Perhaps it has not run before you try to create a new file with that name.

Mike

EPDM 2011 SP2