AnsweredAssumed Answered

Modeling impeller in CFD to determine efficiency.

Question asked by Stacie Cornaire on Oct 25, 2011
Latest reply on Oct 27, 2011 by Mark Vergot

I'm new to solidworks flow and have been trying to learn how to set up a study to determine the polytrophic efficiency of an impeller. I haven't had much luck with creating such study. I'm looking for someone that has done this kind of analysis, any advice, suggestions or hints in using flow sim.

My set up in solidworks is an assembly of the inlet shroud and impeller. i used the wizard with the settings of internal flow with rotation, fluid of steam, adiabatic walls and left the initial conditions as default. I created a solid part that outlined the impeller shape, disabled it in the component control and set it as the rotating region with a rpm. I then know I should set up my boundary conditions. I've used different combinations of the theoretical information for my boundary conditions since you can only use one condition on an inlet and outlet and I have more than that. If someone could tell me what is most important and to use for the boundaries I'd appreciate it. Also I'm not sure what my goals should be that I use in the study. Below is all the theoretical information I have on the design I'm trying to run.

gas= steam

Inlet temp= 268F

Inlet total press.=40psia

Outlet total press.= 80psia

Outlet static press.= 62psia

Outlet temp.= 455F

volume flow=6,450 ACFM

mass flow= 10 lb/sec

efficiency= .79

analysis set up.pngsolid region.png

Outcomes