10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 12:09 PM by Doobie Abraham

CWR file gets deleted when new study is made

David Maxham

Question 1: We use Solidworks Simulation to model vibration in three axes.  Each axis is represent by a different study having a suffix in its name to indicate the axis, for example model1 rv x axis.  After running the first study, say in the x axis, I then make a duplicate of that study by changing the "x axis" suffix to "y axis."  But after running the y axis study, the CWR file for the original "x axis" study is gone.  The same thing happens when I continue to the z axis - the CWR file for the y axis is somehow deleted by the software. This means I have to run the previously solved x and y axes over if I want  to look at the results again.  Any ideas what could be happening?

Question 2: though I have the properties for each study set to D:\model1\results, the software never puts any of the results (CWR, PHI, etc) files into the results subdirectory.  Instead all results files are in the D:\model subdirectory with three separate and blank "x axis," "y axis," and "z axis" subdirectories.  The Simulation/Options/Default Options/Results is also set to Solidwork Document Folder with the "under sub folder" clicked on and set to results.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Over the course of the last few years I've contacted support about these problems, along with sending log files, etc, etc, but there's never been a solution to the problem.

Thanks,

Dave

• Re: CWR file gets deleted when new study is made
          Regis WACHEUX

Hello David,

(My answer will not help you)

I see identical problem with thermal studies and thermoelastic studies, when duplicating studies. I have contacted the VAR, but unfortunately, I can't reproduce the way to have a study (CWR file) deleted by passing from one study to another... Only the LOG file stays, and the report file stays if it was generated.

Reading your remark about the subdirectory. This might happen since I have also defined a subdirectory for the study results ?? (but not sure about it). I will try to remove this subdirectory.

Any answer will help too.

Regis.

Dave Laban

With regards to the sub-directories, I have found that these are only used when generating things like Probe Results data, animations or images.  I have just changed my approach to making the most of the fact that partname.sldprt, partname-study1.cwr and partname-study1.log are all in the same place and are therefore easier to keep track of, rather than having partname.sldprt in one place and the results in another.

With regards to the results problem;  when you go back and re-run x-axis / y-axis, do the z-axis results get deleted (ie, can you only have one set of results available at any one time?).

If you set up x-axis, then duplicate twice for y- and z- before you run anything, then do a run-all command rather than one at a time, are you able to keep all results or again, is only one visible?

Finally, what version of SW and what service pack are you running?  I was having all sorts of headaches with SW2011 SP3 and SP4 when it came to frequency studies.

David Maxham

Hi Dave, Regis - thanks for both your input and advice - much appreciated.

Dave - in regard to the results problem and your first question above, I did notice that if I re-run the x-axis and y-axis, that then all three axes (results) are available.  I'll also try what you're saying about setting up all three axes before running, but currently my process is to work out any modeling problems in one axis (say x) and then when everything looks good, I copy to y and z and then run them.

I'm running SW 2011, but this problem has been around for a few years, including SW 2009 and 2010. 

I'm also in the process of switching over from using Flotherm for the last 12 years and using Solidworks Flow Simulation - so I'll have one humogous 3D model - random vibration FEA - heat transfer/CFD conglomeration - I can only imagine the file-storage and access problems I'm going to have! 

Dave Laban

For what it's worth, I have found that shoving results in a zip file leads to fairly good space saving, normally in the region of 40% for cwr files!  Haven't come across any issues with loading up results that had previously been compressed either, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Do you have any sample models you could share that exhibit the problem?  I've tried running and duplicating frequency studies and can't manage to lose results files, so can't really offer much more help I don't think.

Doobie Abraham

hello david,

i'm using SW 2013 @ work and while looking for answers regarding problems with reading/re-loading simulations results, I came across your post from 2011. any news/progress since then ?

thanks,

doobie

Jared Conway

what problem are you running into?

Doobie Abraham

ran a couple of static studies on a 6 part assembly. at part level, I used one of SW predefined materials. first run I used coarse mesh and ran the first study to see if the problem (fixtures, contacts, etc.) was properly defined. the next studie, I changed some of the materials at the assembly study level, refined the mesh, used no-penetration with friction contacts. note: it took my dell t3610 with 16GB of ram, 30 hrs to solve. once results were available, made a few additional plot. while not saving study yet, had to look at another part from a different directory, I opened the other part in a new window (not a new tab) of SW, checked one of the sketches, closed the window without saving and maximizes the study window again to find study lost results data due to a change of material in one of the assembly parts. one of the parts materials changed itself back to the original part level material and now I need to run a 30 hrs run again.

since all study files are available in the assembly folder, I wish to reload them instead. can this be done ? have any of you experienced a similar problem ?

thanks,

doobie