29 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2013 10:50 AM by Brian Weseman

eDrawings cannot find installed Document Manager API

Taylor Alexander

I just installed Solidworks eDrawings x64 Edition (version 12.0.0.5015) on a machine that does not have Solidworks already installed.  When I open Solidworks files in eDrawings, I get the following prompt:

solidworks edrawing SDM prompt.png

I installed the Solidworks 2012 Document Manager API provided by the "download and install" link.  However, eDrawings does not appear to recognize/find the install.  The "OK, I have installed now" button causes the prompt to reappear, and this warning and all of the watermarks continue to appear when I open SW files.

Is there a way to point eDrawings to the installed SDM API?

• Re: eDrawings cannot find installed Document Manager API
          Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SolidWorks forums Taylor.

Did you had your License Key for SDM??

You might also find this post helpful for your future reference

Taylor Alexander

No, I was not provided with a license key, nor was I prompted to enter a license key when installing.  I opened the SolidWorks Document Manager API.msi and installation was completed successfully.

Do I need the license key?  If so, where do I get it and where do I enter it?

Deepak Gupta

From SW API help file:

License Key

The SolidWorks Document Manager API requires a license key that is only available via the SolidWorks customer portal to SolidWorks customers who are currently under subscription.

To request a SolidWorks Document Manager API license key:

1. Log into the SolidWorks customer portal.
                  2. Click API Support in My Support.
                  3. Click Document Manager key request in step 4.
                  4. Follow the online instructions to request your license key.

A SolidWorks Document Manager API license key is emailed to you upon approval of your request.

IMPORTANT: Do not share this license key with anyone outside your company or distribute it with any software that you ship.

You must specify the license key when instantiating a SolidWorks Document Manager API connection. See Application Basics for details.

Ron Bates

Hi Taylor,

I want to make sure I'm understanding your situation correctly.

You are saying that even after what appears to be a successful installation of the SolidWorks Document Manager, the next time you open a SW file, you get the same Warning dialog suggesting you still need the SolidWorks Document Manager.  Is that correct?  If so, what OS are you performing this on?

Watermarks and warning icons in the status bar of the application could be valid...if referenced documents have been modified (or cannot be found).  But you shouldn't get the dialog asking you to install the DM over and over again.

Ron

Ron Bates

For all those having this issue, install the document manager once more from here.

Subsequent prompts for downloading should go away.

Ron

Ron Bates

Per Clark's most recent post...

This is resolved, as suggested, in 2012 sp02. 

See attached image which shows a new option to disable all file reference checking as a system option now.

RoneDw_2012_sp02.jpg

Jamie Dorenkamp

So where do I download the Edrawings 2012 SP02?   The web site only lets you download edrawings SP01.

Ron Bates

sp02 was only just released for Early Visibility. You must be signed up for the EV program to get it.  sp02 final should be available on the download site in a couple weeks.

Bryan Turner

Seems like nothing changed with eDrawings Release 2013. To paraphase other users from above:

I had users download and install Solidworks 2013 eDrawings x64 and x32 versions on machines that does not have Solidworks already installed.  When they open Solidworks files in eDrawings, they get the following prompt:

solidworks edrawing SDM prompt.png

So if I want to view a Solidworks drawing but don't have Solidworks, then I use eDrawings.  But when I use eDrawings to view SolidWorks file, it requires that I install an additional component. This wasn't the case with earlier versions of eDrawings.

And the installation prompts for SW Document Manager do not give these users a warm feeling and most opt NOT to install yet another application because they have no idea why they would need it. So since they do not trust the eDrawing install, they do not use eDrawings and have to bug the SW users for prints.

If we install from the DVD will we still have to install SW Document Manager? Of course we need to run the update any way....

Taken from funtech.com:

"What is SolidWorks Document Manager for eDrawings? 

So, you're going about your business, sending SolidWorks drawings off to customers or out to the shop for viewing with eDrawings (let's assume SolidWorks is NOT installed on those machines,) and when they open, BAM! a new message from eDrawings stating that 'some elements of this drawing may not be accurately represented because the SolidWorks Document Manager is not installed on your system.' Then there is a nice peace offering in the form of an option to install said SolidWorks Document Manager.

While many of us who love and trust SolidWorks Corporation will simply download and install without a moment's hesitation, others are more cautious and want to know what this is ('cause honestly the documentation wasn't all that great until now.) So here goes:

SolidWorks Document Manager is a tool that allows non-SolidWorks applications, like eDrawings, to look at the data in a SolidWorks file. It is automatically installed with SolidWorks, so this is only a factor for machines where SolidWorks is not installed. For drawings, the Document Manager will allow eDrawings to review custom properties and automatically update annotations.

Think about the following example:

1. A drawing has notes that are linked to custom properties in the drawing file.
                                2. The custom properties of the drawing are edited (typically by a PDM system) without actually opening and re-saving the drawing file.
                                3. eDrawings without the Document Manager will see the notes as they were last saved.
                                4. eDrawings with the Document Manager can see the updated custom properties shown in the notes.

Installing the Document Manager is encouraged to correct this situation.

For those who still choose to install later (Why? Maybe their internet is down, give them a break) there will be a watermark across the bottom of the drawing, stating essentially that 'it is unknown if this drawing is out of date.' How does one turn that off you say? Easy. When that message is present (and only then, so don't bother looking in the menu otherwise,) in the View pull-down menu, there will be an option called 'Show Warning Watermark' which can be unchecked.

Well, there it is folks! Go and get some SolidWorks Document Manager today, and reap the rich rewards of smarter, happier eDrawings!"

Brian Weseman

Bryan Turner wrote:

It is automatically installed with SolidWorks, so this is only a factor for machines where SolidWorks is not installed.

When I install Adobe Acrobat Reader, it's a pretty good guess I'm doing so because I don't have software capable of opening PDF files otherwise.

When I open documents with Acrobat Reader, Acrobat Reader does not then complain that it is missing dependencies, because they were installed at the same time I installed Acrobat Reader.

I have no idea why it is assumed here that a person installing eDrawings Viewer would likely also have a full Solidworks installation as well in most cases.  If I had Solidworks fully installed, I would view the file in Solidworks and not in a limited viewer program like eDrawings, wouldn't I?

The sensible thing to do- this is coming from an IT guy- is to make sure that anything your viewing program is dependent on is installed with the viewing program (and if by chance it's already installed, just have the installer leave that bit off).  Leaving out something that crucial and making like it's a seperate component isn't just confusing, it's downright silly.

Just had one of my sales reps ask me about this one, and I won't lie, I scratched my head.  She's not an engineer, and the only reason she needs to view drawings is for sales purposes.  Whyever on this little blue-green mudball would she have a full install of Solidworks?  Whoever designed this wasn't thinking very clearly.

...on closer examination, perhaps they were thinking clearly (or at least, avariciously).  Seems you need to be under active subscription to even get it.  'Smarter, happier eDrawings' indeed.  And more money in our coffers.  I get it now.

Message was edited by: Brian Weseman