6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2011 9:23 AM by Charles Culp

About the intersection curve

Philippe Carette

An intersection curve, gives this info : at intersection of 2 faces3, or faces4.....sometimes faces2 or even faces1.

I am really very happy to have this kind of info, but how can I retrieve what were those 2 surfaces, 1 or 2 months later, when the part has now 15 or 20 surfaces ?

• Re: About the intersection curve
          Deepak Gupta

Edit the sketch and check the relations either using "Show Relations" or select the entity to display the relations. Then click on the relation and it will show the features involved.

Charles Culp

Philippe,

I just want to add that I find intersection curve to be a very unstable tool. I only use it as a last resort, or as a visual guide for better controlled sketches. I will also try and use surfacing tools, like trim, instead of insersection sketches.

Jerry Steiger

Philippe,

To add to what Charles said about the instability of Intersection Curves, it is important to remember that the intersection of a face with a plane will find all of the intersections. If my face has a large opening in it, the intersection will put a curve on the far away part of the face as well as the area I am interested in. This will drive me to distraction when I can't get a feature to work until I discover that far away, and possibly very small, segment and delete it or turn it into construction geometry. Later, when I roll back up in the tree and modify something which causes some tiny change in that face, the feature will fail again because SW has regenerated that far away segement.

Jerry Steiger

Philippe Carette

Tx a lot for all your replies and tips.

->Deepak Gupta : ok, but if surfaces are hidden, then only one appear in watermark, but no name with it ...

was it too complicate, to list the 2 surfaces in the box where it is said : "at intersection of 2 facesN" ?

-> Jerry Steiger and Charles Culp : I am not surprised if the SW intersection tool is unstable : I am wondering if just one subroutine from SW were bug-free.

In 2011, Mapple is at release 15, but I think that version 1 was able to calculate the intersection of 2 surfaces, in R^n (not only in R³, to be clear), and was already bug-free, for such feature.

Otherwise, there exists Mathematica, Matlab, and if the SW's staff don't want to spend too many bucks, Freemath and Scilab are freeware.

And all of them work perfectly, to calculate the intersection of 2 curves.