SolidWorks 2012 Rollout
October 11, 2011
Omni Park West, Dallas, TX
Thomas Allsup Notes
Let's Go Design!
1. Mouse gestures as a speed improvement were discussed.
2. Equation Editor - automatic solve order option and during equation creation, you can now create a reference dimension based on the solid model
3. A multi-body part can now be exploded but can't be animated like an assembly.
4. You can now have changed dimensions in drawings a different color, they can be interogated and show previous value, or you can hide all unchanged dimensions to show only changed dimensions.
5. When doing balloons, there are now "magnetic" lines that allow for cleaner assembly drawings.
6. When you save a drawing out as a DWG, you can handle paper space or multiple sheets.
7. You can now edit a configuration without it being the currently saved configuration.
8. Feature freeze looks very cool for stopping SolidWorks from recalculating unchanging portions of the start of your part (even allows for multiple configurations). You can enable Feature Freeze Under Tools - Options - General.
9. Under Tools - Features - Statistics can tell you how the calculation time for each feature in your part
10. Toolbox is no longer a MicroSoft Access Database so mainteance is as easy as drop and drag into folders (including making your own custom folders)
11. The Hole Wizard no longers places a point at the location where you select the face (when you initially enter placement tab, there are no points).
12. Import no longer creates solid models for parts and assemblies until you save them out.
13. Sheet metal now has a swept flange
14. Forming tools can now use tools with configurations
15. Sheet metal "knees" or stiffeners can now readily created
16. "Ambient occlusion" was mentioned as a more visually appealing viewing option.
17. CircuitWorks is there ECAD package.