3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2011 12:35 PM by Ramya Ramaswamy

particle study

Larry Howard

I am trying to perform a particle study to determine if a particle will clog an inlet. Has anyone tried to do this?

• Re: particle study
          Ramya Ramaswamy

Particle studies are done to trace the path of the particle. I have done studies to see if the particles will deposit on a surface, which indicated to us how design changes can be done to avoid the flow to the surface...does that help in answering your question?

Larry Howard

Possibly. Are you saying that the particle in your study would actually stop as it adhered to the wall? The reason for my question is this.

I recall from my Flow Simulation class in 2009 that the particle study would show the path of a particle. However, if the particle reached an opening that was smaller than the particle, in the real world it would "clog" the hole while in the SolidWork particle study it would flow through. Has this changed?

I attached my example.PARTICLE STUDY.jpg

Ramya Ramaswamy

It depends on the wall conditions - absorbed/reflected, etc. So yes, typically, if you see the particle entering a hole that is smaller, than either it is going to clog it or the path is going to be deflected.

I did some studies of air with various sizes of dust particles and studied the deposit of dust on a small surface of mirror. It was very informative.

Hope this helps,

Ramya