4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2011 11:52 PM by John Burrill

education watermark

Gary Frey

I used to have the educational version of Solidworks since I am a teacher.  I bought the standard version 2011 this year.  For awhile everything was OK.  Now when I print I get the educational version watermark each time.  I do not have the educational version anymore since I deleted it when I got the standard version.  I have noticed that when I access the new templates I created they all print out with the watermark, but when I use the base templates they do not.  The new templates are all stored in C:\program data\solidworks2009\templates.  The base templates are hidden somewhere?  Deleting and recreating the new templates does nothing useful.  Using the base templates means that I have to redo all my settings each time.  If I create the new templates using the base templates they acquire the watermark.  While I can work around this doing so for 20 to 30 drawings per day is a pain.  suggestions appreciated???

Gary Frey

• Re: education watermark
          Deepak Gupta

Check which templates are being used by the system under "Tools > Options > File Locations > Document Templates"

Delete them from there and create new one or point to the new one you did.

Jerry Steiger

Gary,

I think Deepak is pointing you in the right direction (as usual!). It sounds like your system was pointing to the correct templates that you made in your commercial version for a while and then, through the mysteries of computers, ended up pointing at templates you had made when you were running the educational version. If you can get them pointing to the right spot, you should be OK.

I guess another possibility is that something got corrupted, possibly in your registry, so that SW has now decided that you are back in the educational version. That might require an uninstall and new clean install. Best to talk to your VAR about that if Deepak's suggestion doesn't do the trick.

Jerry Steiger

Scott McFadden

Gary,

Are you saying that after you loaded the standard version printing these

drawings everythinf was ok?  No water marks and all of a sudden without any

warning or SW version changes the watermarks showed up?

I don't know much about the educational version, but I do know that the water

mark in that version cannot be removed.  With that said a couple of thoughts come

to mind.  First since these were created in the educational version, did you do a file save as?

to recreate the new tempaltes and then did a file save as template to save the .slddot files?

Also, when you loaded the standard version, did you wipe SW completely off of the system including the registry?

John Burrill

Gary, are you using your old sheet formats or any of the geometry from your old educational templates?  As I understand it, the educational watermark applies to any file, (part, assembly, drawing) created in the educational version.  Saving it in the commercial version does not remove the watermark. Educational parts will show up in the assembly with an icon that has a graduatino cap on it.   I don't know how deeply nested the educational tags are-if for example you could export your borders to Solidworks drawing blocks and then re-import them into base tempaltes.  Similarly, I don't know if things like BOM and drafting standards templates will carry the educational tag.  I'd try a progressive approach to recreating your templates (one component of the template at a time) and run test plots and see if you can discover just how sticky this thing is.  Unfortunately, there's no way to remove the watermark from a part or drawing once it's been saved in the educational version.  Solidworks made the files work like this to prevent a commercial organization from buying 5 educational seats and one professional version and then using the professional version to convert the files.  I hope it helps.

John